We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Winchburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi

Me and my fiance are off to Cuba at the end of the month, bit concerned after reading certain reviews on the above hotel!

Can anyone give me more info as I am a bit confused is the Gran Caribe the same hotel as the Caribe Cojimar????

I'm also wondering whats the best currency to take, Is Sterling travellers cheques ok?

Can anyone recommed any trips? and should I book outside the hotel or with the rep?

Sorry for the 100 questions just a bit nervous

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Tigger

St Columb Major...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

There are only 4 hotels on Guillermo and only one has the name Cojimar so it is likely they are the same.

I have been to Guillemo twice and will be back in Feb but I stay at the Melia, the Cojimar on the surface does not look as good as the other hotels but on the positive it shares the same fantastic beach!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,833 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

The hotel you are staying at in Cayo Guillermo seems to go under various names. In the Thomas Cook brochure it's called the Gran Caribe Club Cojimar other people call it Villa Cojimar Ventaclub so yes it's the same hotel (as far as I know anyway).

Currency - you are better off taking sterling cash. Don't bother with traveller's cheques because if you lose them you won't be able to get your money back until you return to the UK . Also you pay a commission to cash them so you are far better off taking sterling cash with a UK bank based credit card as back up.

Trips - you will probably be better off booking them with your rep. as that way you do have protection should trips get cancelled because of the weather, etc.

Huddersfield
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hey Tigger,

Myself and 10 others were meant to be stopping at Caribe Club Cojimar from the 14th Sept (Just over a weeks time) We found out from a canadian review that some areas in the hotel (such as the restaurant) are getting renovated throughout September. We've been chasing it up and have hopefully secured a move to the Sol Cayo Guillermo. It's a long way to travel to be on a building site, especially when you're expecting a bit of tranquility. I'd flag the situation up with your travel operator just to make sure renovations will be complete by the time you go.

In all fairness, the reviews of Caribe Club Cojimar have been pretty good and we wouldn't have booked it if we were unsure as to the quality of the place. Its just a bit unfortunate that works are been carried out at the same time as we planned to be going there!

Hope this helps and we'll see you on the beach...it's your round!

Mark

england
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi Tigger,

I went to the Cojimar in July,it is the same as Gran Caribe i think as well as the Villa Cojimar.We took sterling,you can change it at the hotel which we did a couple of times. We went on the Dolphn trip which is well worth it if thats your sort of thing.We also went to Pilar beach.We got a taxi outside the hotel it takes you there and picks you up again at the time you say,it does,nt cost much,the beach is fab and there is a little restaurant too. We were a little worried too after reading the reviews but we were pleased with our holiday and understood we were going to a 3 star.The staff are excellent,really friendly and the beach is lovely. If you want any more info just ask,many thanks........

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
5. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi Katcool, was there enough beach umbrellas or 'shade' on the beach ? Can you walk along the beach for quite a way, either to the left or right? Are the gardens are as lush as the other hotels? I know the place looks very 'tired' but were the rooms clean and the beds comfortable. Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Swindon England
Level Contributor
300 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi Sparky-B

Thanks for the info about building site. Dariusdave & Mrs Tare booked in for Oct and at our grand age don't want a holiday on any building site.Could your forward the Canadian link about "repairs" . Are you booked with Thomas Cook? How have you persuaded them to change your booking?

Huddersfield
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi Dariusdave,

Glad you found my posting helpful. My holiday is booked with Thomas Cook and with 168 hours til I depart, (not like I'm counting down or anything....role on Cuba!) I've finally got my confirmation about the hotel transfer...phew! Really glad we've managed to sort everything out but found it really strange that it wasn't Thomas Cook advising us about the repairs and renovation. In one of email responses I got from them they informed us that they have suspend further holiday bookings throughout September whilst the repairs are going on. They are aware of the situation at the Cojimar so you are totally within your rights to request a transfer or a refund if the holiday you have been sold is not the same as detailed. I'm sure they'll see that they'll address the problem for you but just be prepared to chase it up. If you're going in October they may well have finished on the repairs, in which case you'll reep the benefits of brand spanking new restaurant. Just give Thomas Cook a call just to check on the situation. I'll try and dig out the canadian report for you. Hope you have a lovely time over there, regardless of where you end up!

Regards,

Mark

bristol england
9 posts
8. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

I and my party of six were booked into this hotel for two weeks from oct 13th. I have been in touch with my travel agents today and due to the ongoing building works we have been moved to another hotel. we were given the choice of two to choose from. Hope this is of use to others.

Huddersfield
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hello all,

Just got back from the Sol Cayo Guillermo (after been relocated from the Cojimar) and absolutely loved it! The beach was beautiful, the sea was warm, the people were friendly and everything was included. Because we were staying at one of the Sol chain of hotels we could also get a bus to neighbouring hotels on Cayo Guillermo or Cayo Coco and drink and eat for free there too! (5 pesos return on the bus) The Cojimar was still closed when we went and a number of people we talked to were meant to be staying there but no one complained about the change of venue, regardless of where they were staying. I know a lot of people complain about getting bitten but I'll pass on some wisdom that I gained whilst over there to reduce the chances of a mossy bite. Spray yourself with a mossy spray that has a high percentage of deed in it for the first few days. It's probably a good idea to spray around your bed too. Turn the air con in your room down to a low setting. Mossies hate the cold and if you get cold you can always get under a blanket. After you've been there for a few days you're less likely to get bitten.....they go for new blood so you can cheer when you see new arrivals! Whilst you're out there I recommend you go speedboating......its fantastic!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Caribe Club Cojimar - Cayo Guillermo

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going to Caribe Club Cojimar in Feb 07 and have been saving up and looking forward to it for ages now. I try to keep up to date with things and read plenty of reviews, some good and some bad.

I appreciate that this hotel is a 3 star hotel and do not expect too much but I do have certain expectations and really would apporeciate any honest feed back about the beaches, sea, hotel rooms, pool (I have heard this is dirty and has broken tiles), to be honest I would appreciate any feed back on anything and everything as long as it is fair and honest.

I am a little concerened about the building work which I have been reading about as I know how laid back the locals are and what speed they work at so would not be in the least bit surprised if it was still going on in Feb! Any idea how close to being finnished it is?

Hope you can help, thanks, Dee