We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bathroom odor easy fix

Kitchener
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
bathroom odor easy fix

The latest Caracol reviewer mentioned bad sewer odors in both bathrooms. I always take some plastic and tape to cover the bathroom fresh air opening if the mosquitoes are bad. I've never had to use it for mosquitoes, but in Dec. there was sewer gas odor, so I taped the plastic over the floor drain under the sink. That fixed the problem and the maids left it alone. An even easier fix would be to dump a glass of water into the drain. The standing water in the drain trap had probably gone stagnant or evaporated and fresh water would properly seal the trap again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

If there is a trap...

Kitchener
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

Yeah, if there is a trap. That's why I left the plastic in place after I thought of pouring water down....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

Also take a couple of "Bounce" sheets and leave in the bathroom, leaves it smelling very nice !

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

The Bounce sheet may be nice for putting in between your pillow case and in closets and drawers but it's not going to cover the smell that comes up from the drain. Yes pouring water down it regularly and also what the OP did makes more sense. Yes the Bounce sheet will keep your bathroom smelling nice when you do not have this problem.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

Plumbing and sewer gas ...

Two things happen ... the water evaporates in the P trap (which works when full of water)

Run the tub and sink for short period of time to fill the trap

Warm weather and AC will evaprate the water out of the trap

so if the room has been vacant for some time or is occupied and the AC on lots ... this will happen

Mardi

6. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2009, 00:27
Kitchener
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

Having a trap installed in the floor drain of a Cuban bathroom might already be a stretch.... to have plumbing installed (as here) to divert a little water from the sink, toilet, or tub to keep the trap topped up is IMHO not probable. Pour some water directly down the floor drain. If sewer odours persist, cover the drain with plastic, rubber fins, something, whatever you have....

8. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2009, 01:03
Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

Hiya

I stayed at a Casa Particular as a second room and bathroom were being constructed ... talk about patience and tolerance ... really actually a great friend so ...

Anyway ... the plumbing would pass code here in Canada no problem

And the tile work ... all I can say is WOW ... to make such a plumb wall and straight lines with the basic (coral block) walls ... outstanding

I was in awe

Mardi

10. Re: bathroom odor easy fix

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:32
Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations