We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracol

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Caracol

Anyone have any recent news on the status of Caracol?

I heard it may close for the summer.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracol

didn't hear anything while there. still being sold. just keep your fingers crossed. carol e. and no one's emailed me so hopefully things are alright! what are you hearing?

Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracol

Hey Happygirl! Missed you in April!!

When I was there in April, the hotel had a 3 day inspection with tourism people. They worked very hard to make everything perfect, but after the inspection, someone who was involved in it, told me they didn't do well. Because they have had very few guests this year, and not many booked going forward, the hotel would most likely close in May until November as they weren't "self sustaining".

Up until about 4 years ago, Caracol closed in the summer, from may to November.

The chef's contract was up and he has returned to Varadero (i think it was varadero...), and Tellman has also left the hotel for other employement.

the fact that it's still being offered means little unfortunately, as I booked once for end of November, as it was being offered on line, however, 1 week prior to leaving, i was notified the hotel wouldn't open until my 2nd week. I stayed at gran club for the 1st week and then moved to Caracol.

If I hear more I'll let you know.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracol

" I stayed at gran club for the 1st week and then moved to Caracol."

Well, if you can get the Gran at the price of the Caracol, it's not a bad deal at all!!!

And you're right, an hotel can be offered and at the last minute, you will be relocalise to an other one. Es Cuba!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracol

Talked to SL earlier today, as of today no resorts are closing, Mayanabo and Caracol have low occupancy for the rest of the month, but they are expecting a lot of Cuban families this summer starting next month, as this is high season for them, so I hope this is enough to keep the staff working. Brisas as always has the most guests. All subject to change of course :)

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracol

as most of you know, we are partial to caracol becaause of the [ double ] rooms, the staff and the snorkeling. will be following up on this because we want to head back in in october. we like quiet! we love snorkeling! we love all the chefs! carol e. p.s. there is a burger thread on cuba forum. if you love rudy burgers, please speak up! lol

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracol

p.s. we love the cuban families! carol e.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracol

Looking at booking it in the next day or two for a real last minute departure and are wondering how much of the staff is still there from two years ago. Anyone know if Raymond, Sanchez et al are still there?

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caracol

oh, yes! our extended family is still there. lol. carol e.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caracol

Well, looks like it may be Mayanabo for us this time around.

Hope to be going last week of June!

Missed you too Beachlovertoo! Next time eh?

I feel so out of sorts that I missed my spring trip.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 13:42
10. Re: Caracol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations