We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What isn't available during low season? (August)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What isn't available during low season? (August)

I'm booking at the end of the week, and just want to make sure I'm 100% sure about heading to the Gran Club the first week of August.

Can anyone who has travelled to the Gran Club during the low season, specifically the beginning of August, tell me how much we'll be missing out on?

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

Not sure I understand your question, but August is high season in Cuba.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

That's what I thought, but a lot of places I've googled state it is low season due to hurricane weather....that the spring months are high season, and fall are low. Is this incorrect?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

August would be mid-season (Not a favorite time for Canadians, but Europeans do like to visit Cuba in the summer)...

September and June are the two lowest occupancies months (in between seasons...

As the Camaguey resorts cater more to North Americans, I would suspect you will find the Gran Club fairly quiet...

I would try contacting the resort directly, if concerned about closures/renovations, reduction of service.

The Budges

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

I don't know if it would feel like low or mid season at any specific resort in August, but August is not considered mid season but is officially high season in Cuba. Rates for hotels, car rentals etc are high season rates in August.

toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

I went to Gran Club last year during the first week of August. Definitely low season, the italian restaurant beside the disco wasn't open, but they had italian a la carte at the cuban restaurant, so you don't really miss out on anything.

I was booked into a regular room, but I think due to low season, they didn't have them open and me and my friends got put into the Jr suites instead.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

It may be high season for Cubans but it's definitely one of the low seasons for us.

Generally you will not find as varied a selection on the buffet. Some of the restaurants may be closed like the a la cartes. Sometimes it is harder to book an excursion because it isn't as busy and not cost effective for them to run it. If a resort needs major renos, they will sometimes close for a month or 2 in summer. It is hurricane season and extremely hot so many Canadians don't go till fall, winter or spring. Some of us will go anytime just because we love Cuba and know when to watch for the reductions :-)

Have a good trip.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

Hola

I posted this a few times.

High and Low seasons follow supply and demand for things like rental vehicles, accomidation etc in Cuba (High tourist seasons)

Generally, the seasons follow these dates:

• Low Season: May 1 to July 15 & from August 31 to October 15

• Medium Season: March 16 to April 30 & Nov 1 to December 21

• High Season: July 15 to August 31 & December 22 to March 15

Many good deals can be found during low season and also at the end of medium seasons as the travel industry try to jump start the peak seasons. Supply and demand rules prices though ... prices will rise quickly if it starts to sell out (for example, many people from Europe and South America travel to Cuba during the summer).

There are periods during high and medium that have brief sell offs, usually to fill the planes. It is perceived that the resorts are filling but in fact it is the planes (limited amount of flights per charter company) - the end of January and early Feb is one of these times.

If from Canada it may seem to be a low season but this is just the supply and demand for fights down there. Many locations in Canada do not have any flights during the summer months to Cuba and you must fly to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal to get a flight so it is perceived as low season.

The week of July 26 is a Cuban holiday and many take their vacations at this time

The beaches are packed on weekends.

Mardi

Edited: 22 June 2010, 14:50
Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

Hola

To go back to the Question

Some resorts are lower capacity than others during the summer and this is based on who is the agency booking it.

Some resorts on the strip cater to european comapnies and willl be jammed others like Tryp have a broad mixture and is near capacity as well.

In the Cayos and Holguin it seems there are popular ones with people from the UK and those do well with all amenities functioning but a few are on basic staffing with minimal clients

Some research is best.

Mardi

9. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 15:23
Edited: 22 June 2010, 15:23
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What isn't available during low season? (August)

I agree with DonTomas and Mardi...the pricing offered for July and August seems to be somewhat higher now than was seen for early June...or for September. Perhaps some Europeans and South Americans will be arriving there during the summer, especially after the world cup is finished. But as CB indicated, the summer may be high season elsewhere in Cuba...but not so much in Santa Lucia. I think this destination tends to be more of a Canadian haunt, so the occupancy will still likely be far less than during the fall, winter, and spring months.

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations