We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on tours required

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on tours required

We have just booked our very first all inclusive trip anywhere and decided to stay at Hotel Caracol for a week. I think we will probably like to do about 2 of the excursions offered...any ideas on what would be the best ones for your dollar? Keep in mind we haven't been anywhere before so we are really excited about this trip. Any other advice would be much appreciated. We are a couple in our 40's going the end of Jan

Plaza del Carmen
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Missions, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Camaguey Centro
Historic Walking Areas, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plaza San Juan de Dios
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on tours required

Depends what your interests are? culture, snorkeling, Caribbean Breezes has put together a list of excursions available, you can go over them and if you have any questions about of them, I am sure someone will be able to answer them. Since this is your first trip anywhere, and have no idea what to expect, you will probably enjoy this area, keeping in mind that it is a more laid back area of Cuba, with not much night life, but the beaches are beautiful and the people are friendly and helpful. Also I',m sure you are aware that Caracol is a budget 3 star property and will not have the amenities of a 4 or 5 star. But with reasonable expectations and a positive outlook, you will have a blast. Enjoy!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147272-i2058-k339…

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on tours required

Thank you Sailorman...I read about the Iguana Island tour and also read something about pink flamingos so those kinda look interesting. Not sure about snorkeling cause we have never done it but I guess we will just have to pick some of them and try them. I realize this is a 3 star but figured we don't know what a 4 or 5 would be anyway so it's gotta be fine. We are not real night life people and we can always go to one of the other resorts if we want to one night, right? We are not picky people at all and don't have any expectations other than to relax, enjoy the sun, enjoy the people and HAVE FUN.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on tours required

hunter32, there are 3 excursions that we would not hesitate to recommend in Santa Lucia...

1) start with the Coco Beach excursion ~ great introduction to the area and great fun to help put you in the holiday mood. 2) the Playa Bonita Catamaran excursion ~ fantastic to get out on the water, perhaps try some snorkeling if you'd like, with a lovely dinner and picture postcard beach for tranquility as your final destination. 3) Camaguey City tour and Afro-Cuban dinner / dance show ~ tremendous cultural experience, great dinner, and incredibly entertaining.

We did all 3 ourselves and loved each so much we wouldn't hesitate to do them again. Enjoy!

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on tours required

Terry is offering great advice for free once again!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on tours required

Keep in mind this list and prices can change at any time.

Colonial Camaguey

A trip into the past, abounding in legends, Camaguey treasures a rich history, its narrow, intricate and labrynthic streets plus numerous churches, temples and plazas make it a good choice for history and culture lovers. Mingle with the Camagueyans, as you tour its downtown area. Several places to visit, plus an included lunch. Price 45.00 CUC

Crocodile Farm

Unique trip to nature, enjoy natures gifts at this crocodile breeding farm by feeding the savage crocodiles, going trailing, climbing in to a peculiar cave, riding on a river. Lots of sightseeing in a picturesque setting. A welcome cocktail awaits you plus a tasty Cuban lunch. A visit to a violin factory in included. Price 39.00CUC

Coral Tour

A nice short trip (less than 3 hours) to look at the marine world on the second largest coral barrier reef in the world, or so they say. Shallow crystal clear waters await you while non-alcoholic drinks are served on board. Price 25.00 CUC

Playa Bonita

An unforgettable safari for those who love the ocean beneath their feet, lots of sunshine and splendid beaches, theres no other choice, young or old alike. Enjoy a show with the starfish, all the the booze on board the catamaran, plus the quiet of Bonita beach, an excellent place to relax. If you think one hour snorkelling is not enough, then go for two on this cruise. A delicious lunch of lobster, shrimp, and fish, served with a cup of wine, is waiting on the island, plus lots of fun yet to discover.Price 55.00 CUC

Sport Fishing

A fisher never worries when he goes fishing, as long as the catch is right. Enjoy the company of other fishers, at sea or on the bay of Neuvitas as you enjoy the drinks on board for four hours. Chances are you can catch a Bonito, a Wahoo, a Barracuda or even a red snapper. Just try your luck, and savour your catch at your hotel. Price 50.00 CUC (Lookers 20.00CUC)

Iguana Island Tour

You leave from the gov't dock. Stop to snorkel at the reef then proceed approx 11 km's down the Nuevitas Channel to see the pink flamingos in the wild. Lunch at Iguana island which includes a hike to the top of the island (if you want to go). 11 kms back down the channel where you stop at Starfish Gardens and the guides dive and and bring starfish up for you to touch and photograph. The starfish are returned to the ocean. This is an all day trip with dancing and drinks on board.

Horseback riding

An hour alongside the coast of Santa Lucia will give you unforgettable memories, children and adults alike. Price 6.00CUC

Other tours available: Scuba diving, trolley around Santa Lucia. (children under 12 are half price)

Found this in another post

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on tours required

Top questions about CAMAGUEY

What excursions are available from Santa Lucia?

It's located at the top right of the screen here.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on tours required

we shall al have a swell time! lol. hobie rides are available on the beach, paddle boats, kite board and kayaks. a tip is appreciated. and the orientation will fill you in on prices and excursions. there was also a ranch trip last time. I'm off to the reef on the coral tour and maybe on the hobie. so how come you're not with us, terry and sailorperson? carol e. you can never go to cuba too often. lol. carol e.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on tours required

Carol, just trying to work out the details for our next Cuba trip...will likely wait until prices drop and temps heat up later in the spring. Thinking of trying Guardalavaca this time and SRLM...I believe the best snorkeling in that area is out front of Playa Esmerelda. No matter where we decide to park our sandles I'm planning on spending many hours in the water face down / snorkel up until I'm pruney all over from head to flipper.

Terry :D

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on tours required

it must be nice to be rich, terry! I'll be checking all the 3 star snorkeling prices in april /may. cvj treats us so well but I love santa lucia and travelingal needs a trip there. decisions, decisions! sigh. lol. carol e.

10. Re: Advice on tours required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations