We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

I will be going to gran club santa lucia in march and i read in the brochure that it is a 24hr all inclusive. Is there a restaurant open, or is it just a bar? better question i guess is what is available 24hrs? food or just drinks. Also, how large is the resort? If i get put at the back is it a long way to the beach? Is there anywhere i can see more pictures of the beach and surrounding area? I'm not really concerned about the room, i won't be in it for anything other than sleep. I've looked thru all the pictures at this site but would like to see more. thanks for any help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

I would definitely upgrade to a junior suite or you may well be far away from the beach, beside the road. It is a 24 hour bar, but I wouldn't count on getting much food after hours, maybe a sandwich or pizza. very nice resort. Hope this helps.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 20:33
Wpg
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

it is a 24 hr. coffee bar....no food....also you can buy beer, coke and water there.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

i just returned from the gran club.

there is a 24 all inclusive at the resort.it is true the 24 hour all inclusive is at the coffee bar but booze is available all night long,canned beer is available for 1.00 and sandwitches are available all night long.the foods not 5 star but you won't go hungry,it was far better than i expected in cuba.

i was in the farthest unit from the beach and that's no father than a block from the beach,just a nice walk.

Welland, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

I just came back on Jan 3 2012 we met nice people and the weather was great. The food was not that good and the restaurants all ended up in the same place for some reason. We did go off the resort one night for lobster which was a good time. The last 4 days the resort ran out of water and it became a crap hole as people were urinating and craping outside their rooms, no one seemed to care after tons of complaints. All the resort public bathrooms were over flowing of urine and crap it was disgusting....would never go back to that crap hole

NA
Level Contributor
549 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Jim S says: "people were urinating and craping outside their rooms, no one seemed to care "

Jim, that's a startling comment. Allow me to ask how you coped during those last 4 days without water. I'd appreciate hearing more about this situation; I have family destined for this resort next month.

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Jim S says: "people were urinating and craping outside their rooms, no one seemed to care ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this does not say much for the quality of the people in their rooms..........they are pigs!

I wonder if they would do this at their home if they had a problem with the water????..............I am sure that they made a wonderful impression on the staff and other Cubans.................TURISTAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

It's odd that the "defensa civil" weren't called. Usually in a situation like this where a resort would run out of water for that many days, they would be called in and would deliver tank trucks full of water and buckets, so as to at least accommodate the flushing of toilets. If it was that chaotic, the civilian defence would usually have taken charge. I am also surprised that some of the tourists were not moved to empty hotel rooms in other resorts.

If that in fact was the case, I certainly empathize with your plight. Hopefully the problem was rectified.

manitoba
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Does anyone know how they make the drink caribbean icecream that they make at the Gran Club lobby bar?

Cornwall, Ontario...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Jim S, I find this hard to believe. Why have we not heard about this from anyone else. I have been to Santa Lucia many times and have never heard of such a thing. Please don't get me wrong,I am not saying that it did not happen I just can not believe that the resort would let something like this go on for so long without doing something to help the tourists. I feel bad for anyone who had to endure this but most of all I feel terrible for the staff at the resort to have to put up with tourists who wouldn't understand that this was not their fault.

Audrey

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Club Santa Lucia questions

Jim S hasn't been back... seems to be a one hit wonder. I have a very good friend in mangement who works at Gran Club that would be more than willing to tell me the truth <wink>. We always visit him and his family when we go to Mayanabo, I can't wait to talk to him LOL

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations