We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dancing with locals

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dancing with locals

I heard that there were a few places to go around this area for dancing with locals. Really into cuban salsa which is why I will always chose Cuba over DR or other islands. If no dancing here rather go to Havana.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dancing with locals

I never understand these questions in the Camagüey and Holguín forums. Those are names of provinces as well as provincial capitals, and the two cities are Cubas 3rd and 4th largest. But every time I answer it turns out that the question is related to some secluded resort (since few to none ever visit the cities) and everyone else seem to understand exactly what resort or specific resort area that is without it being told...

So I take it you're not asking about where to go dancing with the 'locals' in the city of Camagüey?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dancing with locals

Good point. adorocuba, it would be really helpful if you were to say where you're going to be in Camaguey...

Cheers,

Terry

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dancing with locals

Yes I suppose that would. I thought I was on the forum for the hotel we intend to stay at which is Caracol santa maria. I don't know how far it is to the nearest town or city. Hoping theres something a little closer. I went to Cayo coco a few years ago and there was nothing to do. The little disco on the resort was full of tourist and the music American. I just want to dance Salsa with cubans.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dancing with locals

Wrong forum for Santa Maria, however there is a Caracol in Santa Lucia which would be this forum.

There is lots of dancing with the locals both in the city of Camaguey which is 1 1/2 hours away (110 kms). You can also go to Nuevitas about 70 km's away.

However there is plenty of dancing in the clubs off the resorts in Santa Lucia at night with the locals. You will have no problems finding someone to dance with .....

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dancing with locals

No not staying in the city. I have been going to Havana for the past few years but wanted to try somewhere else. We are going to yes a resort but are hoping there is something closer to the resort. I love the city and the autentic cuban feel I am not really a resort person but saw a few photos of Caracol Santa Maria,,, and was hoping someone may have been there that might know the answer. I have spent a few years learning how to salsa Cuban style and I want to enjoy dancing when I m there.

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dancing with locals

Thank you ! good thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks also for the correct area.... shoot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dancing with locals

Not sure you will get the authentic Cuban feel in the resort area of Santa Lucia, (not Santa Maria) Only a couple of hotel discos and a local hangout with lots of tourists, you will, however, be able to dance.

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dancing with locals

I didnt think so ... I ve been to Cuba a fair amount, mainly Havana . We just wanted to try somewhere else but have the beach as well. We have a friend who lives In Nuevitas and will try to get there for a few days. Just don't want to be in Cuba and not dance it would be torture. As long as there is cuban salsa etc...and someone to lead me I'm good. Thanks everyone for the input.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dancing with locals

Yes, you will be able to dance, but mostly reggaeton... There is not a lot of salsa anymore... Unless it changed (CB might be able to confirm this) the only place where you will get salsa is at the Mar Verde, and even there, it will be about 1 every 5-6 songs, if not less. Even in Camaguey, the big clubs like Copa or Tropical only play 20-25% salsa... La Casa de la musica is a better place for salsa, on the nights that they have original cuban bands. But like it was said by others, it's 1h15 away by taxi.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dancing with locals

The young Cubans do love their Reggaeton,but I'm sure that if you have a word with the DJ (and god forbid, give him a tip), you'll get some salsa. Once the salsa starts, There'll be lots of Cubans happy to dance with a tourist who actually knows how to dance. Cubans still love their salsa.

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations