We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

We are a large group March breaking it at the Brisas Santa Lucia. We mostly booked through nolitours and have noticed we have buffet dining available at Caracol and manaybo(?) too. Are these close together. Are they accessible only by beach? How long is the walk?

Also as I am an avid beach walker I'm wondering how much or long is this beach walkable. Are there sections which are private for certain properties?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

The hotels are all adjacent to each other. Brisas is first, then Gran Club, Caracol and Mayanabo. All are accessible by beach or street. No part of the beach is private, and you can walk from one end to the other in about 20-30 min, depending on how fast you walk. :) You can walk further, probably right into Santa Lucia, but keep in mind when you leave the main hotel properties, it's open season for peddlars etc, which bothers some people.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 20:26
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

I should add that it is perfectly safe to walk anywhere, just wanted to warn that you may get bugged more off the hotel properties.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

Thank you very much for your info.

Will we find shopping in Santa Lucia? Would it be better to save the shopping until a city tour?

I wanted to take my children to see a Cuban school and bring some gifts. Does anyone know if there would be a school within walking distance from the resorts?

Parkhill
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

yes there is a grade school within walking distance.It would be about fifteen minutes from the Breezes. it is probably one of the richest in the Province. there are a few small schools on the way to Camaguey, but I don't know if you would be able to convince your bus driver to stop. You can walk for hours either way on the beach however; it is unkept once you leave the resort areas. You will be safe walking anywhere in Santa Lucia. At worse a few peddlars may try to sell you something, but they aren't aggressive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

There is no shopping in Santa Lucia,It's just a small residential area.There are a few souvenir shops in the hotels, and craft vendors. And you can't simply walk into the school, this practice is frowned on, as it would be in your children's school at home.There used to be a small tourist train that I think visited the school, someone who has used it might know more. As was said the local school has everything they need, tourists have been providing the area schools with everything needed for years.

Parkhill
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

There is also a day care within walking distance to the west of the Brisas. It is in the residential area there. most tourist don't know that it exists so I am guessing that they wouldn't get to many visitors. I have walked by in the afternoon and the kids were all napping in cots under a shade tree in the yard. There is also a small store near there that the Cubans would frequent. it would be like a super mini walmart. it is stacked to the rafters with everything from shoes to refridgerators.

P.S. They are in the first neighbourhood past the gas station on the second or third road in running the same direction as the beach.

Oakville
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

Hi. Yes the train tour is still being offered, as of August. It was good, about an hour and a half. Tour of Santa Lucia, we went to the school. It was the week before school started so it was just in the getting ready stage. It would still stop there (I would assume) during school season, and perhaps the things you bring would be given to a teacher who would hand out (which they did for us about 2 years ago). It is a guided tour and we saw the flamingo lake (not too many on that day), different areas and work places...and scenery. it was quite good, about 10 pesos for our family (2 adults/1 child). We did stop at the Commercial Centre...haha it's not Walmart. What's available is really what's available at the resorts...remember you don't go to Cuba for the "shopping"...unless its cigars and/or liquor (which is unbelievably cheap :) Even though we've been to the resort a few times this was our first time taking this tour, I don't think I would need to go again.

Terry

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

We had taken school donations many times till I found out about a little school in El Rubi. Not to many tourists go there to visit. It cost us 25 CUC's last time we went to El Rubi. Always confirm the price with the driver before you go anywhere.

Don't be afraid to ask people in the area where there is a school not to far away... that's how we found out about El Rubi.

The small daycare for preschool in Santa Lucia is very nice too. We have also donated several things to them also.

If you are going walking on the beach, wear water shoes. The sand on the beach is not always fine because of the reef offshore. It's fine for walking a little ways but it can be a little abrasive on a long walk especially when you leave the resort zone. It's like the first step in a pedicure LOL

Take a trip to Coco Beach by taxi or horse and buggy and you may get to see the flamingo's :-)

Edited: 22 September 2011, 23:30
Oakville
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

Hi C.B. I know which pre-school you mean in Santa Lucia, we have passed it on horse back ride and the train tour passed it also. Can we just walk there and drop things off - we like to be able to give things they would actually need/use, suggestions?

And yes - watershoes....also for walking in the ocean and the sea grass doesn't get between your toes haha

Terry

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location or Brisas vs. other hotels?

Yes you can just walk if you want and drop things off. We actually stopped there when we took the horse and buggy in... we asked if he would stop and he was very happy too.

For the preschool we took colouring books, crayons, puzzles that were age appropriate, beach balls, paint brushes, water paints, flash cards with shapes and animals and a few other things.

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations