We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas???

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas???

For those who are seasoned travelers to this area do you know if there is a seasonal connection to these fleas? A previous poster mentioned that the seaweed was the cause... Just wondering if I should head down with a cozy spot by the pool in my sights instead of the beach.

Has anyone tried Avon skin so soft as a repellent for the sand fleas?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas???

I have never had a sand flea bite in this area, and I walk on the beach every morning, and lounge all afternoon. Stay away from the beach after dusk and don't put towels on the sand, I don't think they are seasonal, but have never experienced them.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas???

I have the opposite experience, they are drawn to me like moths to a flame.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas???

Fact -- there are sand fleas in the tropics.

Some people have a body chemistry that the fleas don't like and they (like sailOrman) always insist that the bugs don't exist.

Then there are those of us who are magnets to the fleas. And some of us have allergic reactions that cause huge welts rather than just little bumps.

I travel to any tropical location with insecticide. I like OFF wipes because they are easy to carry and provide complete coverage. But, I also carry cortisone cream to treat any bites that might occur despite my best efforts at prevention.

Hopefully you are among the lucky ones who will never be bitten but it is always best to be prepared.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas???

any welts or big bites we had were from those tiny no seeums. sand fleas were out at coco beach. I use skin so soft mixed with my basil herbal oil and if it's really heavy mozzie season spray deet. carol e.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas???

"Some people have a body chemistry that the fleas don't like and they (like sailOrman) always insist that the bugs don't exist."

I don't think sailOrman60 actually said that. Like him, I too have never been bitten by a sand flea, however I most certainly believe they exist. A good bug repellant for all things biting seems to keep them away from me. That and a little common sense.

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas???

Agree Terry, I certainly did not say they did not exist, simply that I am not bitten. A big difference. I also gave advice on ways to avoid them.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas???

I'm surprised, sailor person! you are the nicest person. lol. carol e

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas???

Let's hear it for body chemistry! LOL

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas???

No matter what I put on my skin, they love me :-(

I never go to the beach early in the morning or at dusk.

I think it is the same with mosquitoes, some people just are magnets, like me.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas???

Yes, people tried SSS for sand fleas - it failed miserably as any kind of an insect repellent.

We've had very good luck with the Australian product, RID.

We bought ours on the Internet from England.

RID TROPICAL STRENGTH INSECT REPELLENT CONTAINS: 19.5% DEET plus two additional repellents, including a FLY repellent, Antiseptic to kill a wide range of bacteria, Vitamin E for moisturizing, Chamomile for its soothing relief, and Triclosan (an anti-bacterial/ inflammatory agent).

RID will protect you from all biting bugs (mosquitoes, sand flies, midges, ticks, fleas and TSETSE flies), mosquito borne diseases, and those pesky flies, ants and leeches (yes, leeches).

SafariInfo - A private individual who researches everything before doing anything.

http://www.woodsmall.com/

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations