We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the Bugs

Woodbridge, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
the Bugs

Reading over the most recent review from Santa Lucia and it isnt that good. I booked for a week late May and I hope they have the bed bugs problem fixed! Otherwise may have to bring extra sheets.

Review below -

The Good, the Bugs and the Ugly.”

The Bed Bug Problem

Unfortunately, yes, the resort does have a Bed Bug problem. Yes, I did see it with my own eyes and have pictures.-, two couples -They looked awful after a couple of days with bites from head to toe. After careful investigation (blood spots on mattress and sheets, seeing squished and live bed bugs) around the mattress and headboard they discovered Bed Bugs.

The hotel staff moved them into another room in another building, but they found bed bugs there too. Rooms 1025, 1027, 616 all had bed bugs. We discussed our bug problem with our Noilitour representative, but during the conversation she didn't seem to concerned about it. My guess was that she probably deals with this issue all the time.

The hotel general manager wouldn't meet with our group. He cleverly had the staff deflect us to the public relations guy.. The hotel management t didn't want to admit that they had prior knowledge of the bed bug problem. Through conversation with some staff members, they all admitted they knew of the bug problems in specific buildings throughout the resort.

We did discuss our bug problem with other guests and found other guests were having the same problems in other buildings

Just to be safe, when we returned home, we took our clothes to a local laundry mat with the high heat dryers and sanitizing washers. Five hours and $36 later we returned home. We steamed our suitcases inside and out, just to make sure we didn't bring any live bed bugs into the house. Somewhat of an inconvenience. Not a great ending to our holiday.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the Bugs

You can buy a travel spray for bedbugs...with 2 weeks you have time to order on line

Cheers

Amherst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the Bugs

Bed bg spray would be an asset when travelling. Do you order this from a Canadian website?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the Bugs

The guy posting the review says he has pictures. How come he didn't post then with the others?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the Bugs

I don't dispute it can happen, Thankfully it has never happened to us in our many many visits to this area.

Bed bugs are in Canada too..... just sayin'

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
300 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the Bugs

I'm just as likely to see bed bugs on my overnight stay at the hotel in Toronto, waiting to catch the flight out to Mayanabo first thing next morning. I take spray, and just spritz the bed (in Mayanabo and in Toronto - in fact WHEREVER I go in the world) before I get in. In all my times at Mayanabo, the ONLY bugs to get me have been mosquitos - which has nothing to do with the resort.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: the Bugs

I've never seen bed bugs anywhere in Cuba. I'm not saying it can't happen, but as many other regulars know, bed bugs bites are often confused with sand fleas that piggy-back on beach towels, etc. and transfer to the beds through direct contact.

My best advise...never l put anything that has touched the sand on your bed.

Terry

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the Bugs

These cuban hotels don't have the means to combat bed bugs. It takes proper equipment and money to eradicate bed bugs. I have experienced bed bugs (not sand fleas) when I stayed in this area. Best thing to do is try to change rooms.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the Bugs

Unfortunately you can't do anything about the 2 legged ones :-)

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
300 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the Bugs

It's not the number of legs that is the issue ... it's the size of the bite!

But I have been lucky - no bed bugs in all my travels to Cuba so far. Just mosquitoes (at some points during the year, but they are WAY smaller than our Canadian ones!), sand fleas (I find if you try to stick to walking along the edge of the water - feet in the water - it's less likely you'll get badly affected), and bar flies...well, not much you can do about those!

Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the Bugs

CB,

I've never had a problem with "bed bugs" having been here several times and to different parts of Cuba since 2007 have you? I had a small sand crab share my room back in 2010 at Mayanabo and a spider live with me for 1 week in Holguin till I ended his life it didn't bother me ( I always carry a can of RAID with me it works for me) Have We just been lucky? or are these bugs really bed bugs??.....makes we wonder?

can't be any worse than those damn morning doves that poop in and around my pool.... now that's disgusting..........LOL

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations