We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

wllI i have time to exchange some currency on arrival at airport before catching resort bus to MAYANABO.also are all cadeca's at the departure's que rather than arrivals.and if so can some one inform me which &where? reason being it would be nice to buy a couple of beers for !1/2hr bus ride &have small notes for tips etc. any &all information will be greatly appreciated.

regards&later KEWATIN

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

The cadeca is to your right when you exit the airport, you will have time to exchange some cash, most people do.

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

thank you so much for the quick reply,this info is exactly what i was looking for. regards &later KEWATIN

Toronto
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

The beer guys at the airport take canadian cash so you can still have a few even if you don't get an opportunity to get to the exchange.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

plenty of time to do banking. haven't had a bus leave without us yet! lol. the cadecas on site at the resorts are open in the early a.m. 7 a.m. as a rule. weekends the peso rate isn't the best. we just get a minimal amount on arrival and hit the bank around 9 a.m. on monday. carol e.

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

hi carol ,thanks for your imput. we will be arriving about 2 pm wed dec5 so will take your advice&get a small ammout &wait till be get to santa lucia to x change more.i see their is quite a discussion going on over at cayo coyo forum about airport cadeca rip off of cdn tourists and to boycot the one there till they get the message. seems they won't give receipts when asked

& gouge you on the exchange rate.also that cdn's are too polite &passive.&if it were a plane load of italians there would be a riot.also apparently one exchange person was put in jail ,but nothing has changed much. maybe on second thought i will by pass the airport cadeca.

thanks for your help. regards&later KEWATIN

Edited: 25 November 2012, 16:11
Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

we have always been very well treated at the cadecas at santa lucia and at bucanero. a passport has been required for most amounts exchanged and every thing very carefully counted out. I always kid them about getting 105 pesos for the canadian 100 dollars. lol. and I always count my money back right then and there. do the same at any of the stores as well. carol e. and I always get a receipt!

Edited: 25 November 2012, 16:50
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

Some of us have not been so lucky.

My son was ripped off twice, once at Mayanabo and once at Caracol. Then my husband went to the cadeca at Caracol when we were staying there and he too was ripped off.. fortunately we had a Cuban friend with us and he went back with my husband and had a talk with the person... let's just say the "error" was fixed immediately but when my husband pointed it out she was not cooperating at all.....

If you take a calculator with you and appear to be checking there will be no issue LOL

I must say..... we have been to this area of Cuba many many many times so 3 times isn't to bad. Just don't be afraid to speak up if you feel wronged and demand a receipt and ask what the exchange is .. it should be clearly posted daily.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
8. Re: cash exchange at camaquey airport before bus trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations