We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banks

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
banks

going to grand club santa lucia, where is the nearest bank to draw out canadain money if needed extra cash while there.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: banks

I'm assuming that was a typo saying you want to draw out Canadian money? You will exchange Canadian money for Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC's). I believe there is a Cadeca at your hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: banks

Cadedca in your and in the other 3? resorts. A bank in the nearby town and numerous ATM's in Camagüey City itself an hour and a half away.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: banks

I'm going to the Club Amigo Caracol in Santa Lucia soon and would like to exchange money at the airport. in Camaguey upon arrival. Last time (Holguin) TA's members suggested that I go to the departure area as there were no line-ups and it was an excellent idea. What about the Camaguey airport-where would be the best place to exchange money upon arrival? Appreciate your advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: banks

Sorry I have used the domestic terminal many times but never the international. Hopefully one of the Cam. Resort destination experts will respond as they will be habitual international terminal users.

Personally I would just wait until I got to the resorts unless a Cadeca is immediately obvious on arrival and with a small queue!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: banks

The bank in the commercial centre on the beach between Caracol and Gran Club should be open. They give a better exchange than the resort cadecas.

The cadeca on the departure side is always open when there is a flight leaving or arriving. When you exit the building, go left and enter the departure side.

Have a good trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: banks

Caribbean_Breezes, thanks! I've read that there are line-ups at the resort-and indeed, there were some in Guardalavaca too. That's why I want to try to get some CUCs at the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: banks

Never even saw anyone use the Cadeca at Brisas recently!

Do note that the difference between official cadeca rates at airports and elsewhere and banks are negligible for short term travellers let alone for prepaid resort goers

Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: banks

Miche B.

When purchasing at Santa Lucia you can only use

Cuban Pesos. It is better for the workers to tip them in pesos because if it is Canadian then they have to find some Canadian to exchange the money. You can exchange your money when you arrive at the Camaguey airport. Have fun!!!

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: banks

I believe that a lot of resorts no longer have a Cadeca. In the last two years, the 5 resorts we were at were closed permanently. Front desk did the work. We usually cash in $50 (or $100) CDN at the airport (in the departure area); haven't seen one in arrivals area for at least 5 years. Just need the CUC for tipping.

At Santa Lucia - you DO purchases in the Convertible Peso; NOT the Cuban Pesos, another reason to recount your money in the teller's presence to make sure you have CUC and not CUP. So get enough to tide you over at the airport (depending on the length of your stay). And as #5 stated, the bank is the best place, and it is less than a 5 minute walk from wherever you're staying.

You will love the Gran Club! If you think you might run out of Cuban money, you are only a 1 minute walk from the bank to top up. Have a great vacation. Wish I was you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: banks

Thanks for your advice-I still have about 20 pesos in 1 peso coins, so I'm OK with tips, but I just want to avoid line-up. Besides, I'm going to Cuba, for the first time, for 2 weeks, so we will probably take a few side trips from the resort here and there and we're planning to stay for 2-3 night in Camaguey.

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations