We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

I was checking out the Got Travel Direct website to get prices to go back to the Gran Club Santa Lucia as we went there in March and loved it.

Does anyone know what happened with GTD?`

Last week or the week before they had Santa Lucia Destinations and other destinations and this week they cut down their destinations and departure cities ??

Too bad since I had enjoyed the Gran Club Santa Lucia and the GTD.

Does anyone know what happened?

OppMarineCop

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

I've notice that also departure Montreal or Toronto.. That is so weird.But just keep checking with them it might change.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

There was an article in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper a few weeks ago stating that some of the larger travel companies (sunquest, Signature, Transat etc) had threatened to pull out of some of the hotels in Cuba, if they did buisness with Go Travel...because Go Travel cuts out the travel agencies, and can do lower prices.

They had great flight times and about 10 different hotels in the Varadero area last year...this year they have 3 hotels and awful flight times...leaving Ottawa at 8.30 and arriving after midnight in Varadero, and leaving Varadero around 11.00-12.00midnight to fly back.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Hiya Marine Cop

Isn't this always the case ... you find something good and it gets screwed by the conglomerates. I have a feeling that the smaller companies are going to feel this quite a bit ... I'm waiting for sunning to get squashed. Look what happened to CanJet and before that Jetsgo. Even Cubana has had their flight times changed (for the worse).

All we can do is find another.

Have you been to Santa Clara???

Cheers

Mardi

Toronto
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Can't answer re: GTD, but I have just gotten a last minute trip to Santa Clara for 419 plus tax from the Last Minute Club. No single supplement.

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Thanks to all who took the time to answer.

Nice to see you are still around Mardi

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Marine Cop

Nice to see you are a frequent Cuba Visitor. When's the next trip???

Have you been to Camaguey or Holguin??

I'm trying to get out to Trinidad and Cienfuegos soon. I've been to Ciego de Avila ( realtively close to Santa Lucia)

I'm in Cardenas/Varadero and Jaguey Grande from Oct 7 for a week.

Mardi

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Hello Mardi,

I have been to Camaguey. We are planning on going back to Cuba. There are a lot of places to see so I am not sure on where exactly ?

We like going to Cuba because, compared to other latin countries, it is very safe. Precautions still have to be taken of course when venturing in the country side. But the people are so nice and friendly, this makes Cuba attractive. (Beaches too !!)

Enjoy your vacation.

Keep us posted on your return on where you went and your review.

OPPMarineCop

West Carleton
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Hi,

My husband and I had actually booked our return trip with Go Travel to Gran Club last month as soon as winter 2007 travel was available. Last week we received a call from a GT representative that informed us that travel to the Camegeuy airport had been cancelled and so had our trip to Gran Club. We were offered a full refund or a chance to change our travel plans with GT. I have since been told that GT took bookings without having received the proper authorization from the Cuban gov't to use the airport. I have seen booked with I Travel 2000 and must say that for a very comparable price I will get a Corale Suite.

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

Thanks a lot Woodlawn. I will check it out.

oppmarinecop

Ottawa. On
Level Contributor
171 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Travel Direct - What is happening ?

IMHO i think that the Cuban autorization for Camaguey has nothing to do with GTD cancelling Santa Lucia. GTD will never reveal the real reason because of the competition.

GTD does not fly to Holguin this year nor are they flying from Halifax. I do think personnaly that the rise in fuel price this spring did hurt GTD and Zoom more that it did to the bigger charter airline (AT, Skyservice, etc). ZOOM is still small and in no position to deal fuel prices like AT. BTW, GTD never charged fuel surcharge.

I have sent a letter to GTD concerning this and never got a reply.

Danduc

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey
Recent Conversations