We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba 's new policy?

toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Cuba 's new policy?

Anyone been to cuba lately, I heard they want proof of medical insurance when you land. If you have none you will have to purchase some there. This is the first I've heard of this.Maybe it's just a travel cousellor scam.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,122 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

There have been literally hundreds of threads on this subject. It's not a scam, the policy came into force on May 1st.

Only a handful of people have been asked for proof of insurance though. Even your Provincial Health Card will be accepted but really you need have better cover than that.

Check out this link for further details:

embacu.cubaminrex.cu/Default.aspx?tabid=17941

Edited: 12 October 2010, 17:06
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

We took it but were never asked for it. There were 2 ppl on our trip that were hurt...one went to hospital, one fixed up at the resort. Take as many supplies as you can as not much available at the resort if you get hurt...we had to rely on other travellers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

We were just there last week and took proof of med insurance, they never asked once.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

I have spoken to my travel agent and he confirmed that this policy is in force. He said he heard about just one incident when planeload of tourists arriving in Cuba from the UK were asked to show that they had medical insurance, otherwise he has not heard about Cuban authorities requesting it from any other tourists. However, he advised me to have a proof that I do have such insurance because I might be forced to buy it in Cuba. Since I'm automatically covered by my Visa credit card, I called TD bank and they would send me a letter confirming that I do carry travel insurance.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

Canadian_Guy1000, if you are going for more than one week, you might want to check into the length of coverage. I was considering getting one of those TD Visa cards until I found out it is only 8 days of coverage. If you are over 65, it's even worse - only 2 days of coverage.

Regards,

Jack

Edited: 24 October 2010, 15:11
Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

What a crazy country.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

Hi Jack,

Yes, I know, it's up to 8 days,but I'm going for just 7-and for a while, I'm going to be under 65 ;)

But of course, it's always a good idea to check this out before leaving.

Regards,

Jack

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

CubaJack - really only 8 days of coverage?? Huh. My CIBC Visa covers me for up to 30 days, but I do pay a yearly fee. Good to know.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

melissassm, the reason I was looking at TD was that you can get a "select service" account so that they will waive the annual fee for the credit card. But even if you don't have the special account, and pay the $120 fee, it looks like the coverage is only 8 days.

I need to look at other credit cards through other banks.

Regards,

Jack

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuba 's new policy?

That sounds good for a no fee card, but for the ppl paying the $120 OUCH!

Mine's a CIBC Gold Visa, and the fee is $100 annually. Worth it for me since every weekend I go to Michigan & it's good to know I'm covered. The interest rate stinks so I only use it for stuff I can pay for right away.

Here's what CIBC's fine print says about the medical coverage: "Up to 31 days Automatic Out-of-Province Travel Medical Insurance for cardholders age 64 and under (Cardholders 65 and over receive all Gold Benefits, excluding Travel Medical Insurance, for a reduced annual fee of $69)"

:)

Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Cuba