We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Sudbury
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Wanting to go to Cuba for April 24...Cannot go to the Bucanero...way too high in price....Ok..next...Costa Morena...seems reasonable....darn..have to pay single supplement...darn....all right...check out Los Corales.....price looks right....darn again...only applicable to two persons booking..I do not qualify...at this time of the year...this is unreasonable...I can understand the single supplement in prime time season and at high class resort in Cuba...but...if this continues...do not wonder why you are empty and people will go elsewhere!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

In the UK the single supplement is payable year round on pretty much all the hotels in Cuba. That's one of the reasons I started to go flight only and stay in casa particulares.

Sudbury
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

I m thinking along those lines also Bellagio!...at least I will be able to cook my own meals..which will be much better!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Suzanita......you are going to have to talk a friend into coming along with you to CB.....and with the weather we have been having.....I would love to join you.....but this is a very busy season for us and I am chained to my desk! (Help!!!!) Unless there is a real drop in the flight only......it's cheaper to get an AI. I have a friend from Germany who books the flight separate and contacts Carisol Los Corales and they give her a real good price. She of course comes for 4 weeks. CQ :)))))

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Suzanita.....your Casa Mama cooks your meals in a CP.....but I know you are talking about just staying in a casa. I find sometimes the flight alone to Santiago is more expensive then booking an AI package. CQ :))))

Edited: 09 April 2011, 02:06
Sudbury
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

CQ...in this casa I have my own kitchen which is a joy for me since I love to cook...all I have to do is give them my grocery list and they will get everything in National Pesos...and..yes, I agree with flight only usually being more expensive but not in this case...flight...taxes...casa cost...and I still save 300 bucks...so...that is worth and not counting the 15 CUC that I tip a day...I certainly can eat well and drink well with that...as long as not too many cubans show up!....LOL!

Gibara, Cuba
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

"Why do single travellers have to pay more???"

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Then again why should a hotel rent a room out for 50 when they can get 100 instead. I hear what you are saying about it being the beginning of low season. The prices will drop a fair amount eventually......but still.

The only resort in Santiago that I ever recall having NO single supplement was the Bucanero. Don't know if that is still the case though. In the city, hotel San Basilio has no single supplement but you are still looking at paying 60 cuc a night anyways. Hotels San Juan, Libertad, & Las Americas are probably around 25-28 cuc, single occupado, at low season. Hotel Rancho Club even lower than that. Thems the breaks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Last year at the Iberostar Varadero I paid $700.00 more (total over a 2 week period) for the single supplement. OUCH.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Costa Morena shouldn't be charging any single supplement right now as they have a lot of empty rooms to fill and had to lay off staff due to the lack of business.

When I booked Costa Morena for March 20-27 through Holasun I paid a reasonable single supplement of about $65. I didn't like it but it was a lot better than what some of the other places wanted to charge.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 04:32
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Susanita, does it have to be Santiago de Cuba? Or even April 24th? No single supplement at either Caricol, Mayanabo, or Gran Club in Santa Lucia during the month of May and beyond. Things that make you go hmmmm??

Terry

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do single travellers have to pay more???

Wow Suzanita.......300 single supplement is a lot!!! And you do want to be in Santiago to see your godchildren and help celebrate a friend's birthday. I hope you can find yourself a good deal on a flight and stay in the casa. It will be such a disappointment for all. Queenie never travels without her King......so for now I don't have that problem. Good Luck!!!! CQ :))))

Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Cuba