We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Club Bucanero at Xmas!

We are thinking of going to Club Bucanero this Christmas. Has anyone been there at this time? And also, we always take gifts etc. to Cuba with us - are there any specific things we should think of for this resort and Santiago? We have never been to Santiago area before and are greatly looking forward to it!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

hi there - the Bucanero is my home away from home and i am sure that you will love it. christmas is not a big deal in cuba but the resort goes out of their way to make it special for the tourists. it seems so silly to have a christmas tree in the lobby..lol.

you will be very close to the city and can usually catch the workers bus into town for 1 or 2 CUC, and one of the front desk people has a car if you need a cab. i will pm you his name. the resort needs some tlc, but the scenery, friendly staff and amazing snorkeling make up for it. there is a pool table in the lobby that needs cue tips and chalk.. if you are a smoker then pop a few plastic ashtrays in your bag as they are few and far between. i am heading down for 2 weeks in november so i will let you know if there is anything they desperately need when i get back ! cheers.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Thank you Skoots! We are actually planning on being there for New Years! Hope you 2 weeks in Nov is FANTASTIC -and hey, you will be in Cuba ... so I am sure it will be!!

Gatineau
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

I am also thinking of going to the Bucanero for 2 weeks for Christmas and New Years but a year later 2012- 2013.

Would love to hear any feedback from Geographer2 and anyone else that may have went during this time.

Also how is the weather during that time as I know that Varadero could quite cold and windy.

Thanks

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

We are quite lucky in Santiago and it is one of the hottest places in Cuba. As far as wind goes......depends on Mother Nature but sometimes it's a welcome relief.

Here is the review Geographer2 posted on Bucanero "Bringing the New Year in Cuba"

tripadvisor.com/…UR123799882

Gatineau
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Thanks Coral Queen much obliged!

Any tips from you will be appreciated.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

and we'll be there jan.2 to celebrate, too, for 3 weeks. lol. carol e. please leave some lobster and champagne for us.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Do they sell good quality cigars in the hotel itself?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Now that is the Question????? It depends on the cigars you want. I am sure they sell some of the popular brands as most of the hotels do. If it is a specialty cigar or you cannot find them.......you can go into the city to the cigar factory on Jesus Menedez the street that runs along the harbour. There is a cigar store there were you can purchase them. From Parque Cespedes you just walk towards the harbour and turn left. If you take a city tour into Santiago......they probably will take you there and also to the store next to the rum factory which also is located on the same street (you would have to turn right on Jesus Menedez.....a ways down) where you can also purchase rum, cigars, jewelery.....etc..... CQ :))))

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Hey Coral Queen! Thank you very much for the tips :) . I'm not one for the Cohiba's or Monte Cristo cigars, however, Romeo y Julieta's do the trick just fine for me.

I noticed that you also are the Destination Expert for Santiago de Cuba and was wondering if you knew any places in the area to get a nice clean shave haha. I hear Cuban barbers are the best of their kind!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Bucanero at Xmas!

Hehehehehe........I've never had to worry about getting a clean shave so I really would suggest you ask some of the bartenders, or staff at the lobby desk or the guys from the Nautical if they have someone at the resort who does this or a good barbershop in the city. I know that the guys from the Nautical shave each others heads. But as far as the face goes......????. You can also E-mail the Assistant Manager - Ibia Perez Bell and ask her this question when you are booking your room:

comercial@bucanero.gca.tur.cu

Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Cuba