We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Credit Card use for excursions???

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
No Credit Card use for excursions???

I have just heard that we can't use our credit cards to book excursions in Santiago de Cuba. We have always been able to uses them on previous trips to Cuba (Varadero and Playa Santa Lucia). I have also been advised that you can use your credit cards (Canadian of course) to get cash at Cadeca, but that Cadeca has moved out of Carisol los Corales.

Does anyone have any more info on this? If we can't use our plastic to book excursions, that means carrying a whole lot more cash, and I'm not too crazy about that. Unless, of course, there is a Cadeca nearby. HELP!!!

Mentioned in this post
hfx
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

please post a link for the source of this info, does sound odd, hopefully it is incorrect

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

The info came from a very experienced Santiago de Cuba traveller.

Mentioned in this post
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

The info came from me and it had to do with booking tours from the resort hotels in Santiago de Cuba and not the city. At one time we had no problems using our credit cards.....but over the years were required to use cash to book our tours. This is why when I give out the info on the tours I mention that they'll require cash for the tours. Maybe, things will change this year with them removing the Cadeca from Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales but won't know until we get there. You can e-mail the hotel to find out for sure, or from someone who just got back and took a tour. Es Cuba! Things are always changing. CQ :))))

Mentioned in this post
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

We are very frequent guests of Santiago's Carisol Los Corales & just got back from this resort, and yes it is correct,...there is no longer a cadeca at either Carisol or Los Corales. They have been removed, as per direction from Cubanacan Havana head office. Exchange of monies are done at the reception desk, but a word of advice....get your dollars exchanged in the morning, as reception has limited funds to exchange & we found they were out of CUC's but noon/early afternoon. To get CUC's from your credit card, you will need to go to a bank in Santiago city. Make sure you bring your passport with you, as you will not be able to get CUC's from your credit card without it. This closure of the cadecas is not well received by the reservation desks, as there is usually only one person working the desks & he/she cannot handle all the requests from tourists, so be prepared to wait.

Regarding excursions, yes, they are paid in cash CUC's. No credit cards. Excursions will range between 20 - 70 CUC's per person, depending on what excursion you want to take. Credit cards have not been accepted at this resort for excursions, for about 8 years now. As well, Carisol Los Corales offers a free shuttle bus to Santiago city each Saturday. The bus leaves the resort by 10am and returns from Santiago at 5pm arriving at the resort around 6pm. This is a weekly shuttle & will not be running any more than once per week, even if the demand is there from tourists. If you want to take this shuttle, I would advise booking the shuttle thro the Public Relations Manager ASAP, as the bus sells out quite quickly. The option is also there to take the workers bus for 5 CUC's if you so desire. We took it frequently without any issues whatsoever. The workers bus runs into Santiago at 7:10am & 3:10pm. We took taxis back to the resort for 30CUC's one way, as we did not return until near midnight & no workers bus returns at that hour.

Hope this helps. If any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

Great info - thanks a bunch

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

Your Welcome pegsim-home

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

We always take cash anyway and use a credit card for back up. It is easier for any cancellations and the extra costs. We never take more than $600 for a week and often come back with some. That usually covers 2 excursions, tips, dinner or lunch out, bus into town and odd admission price or items from the store.

Moreal
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

I am coming a little late to this thread but what I can say that credit card acceptance was spotty for me in Santiago de Cuba city from Dec 12th till January 11. The Cubana air office was not accepting cards. And I had planned to buy my gifts of rum at the airport, and use my credit card to do so. But because of the hurricane the credit card systems were not working at the tiny airport gift shop in Santiago airport. What is more the inventory of rum was limited in choice of type and bottle size.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

Thanks Willie Traveller. Let's hope the airport situation changes in the next month - before we come home. Because we need cash for excursions, we're still trying to figure out how much cash to take along with us. Do you recall what excursions were available when you were there, and the approximate cost of them? Can't seem to find a list of current ones, expecially since I'm sure there are a few changes due to the hurricane. I do have a list from HoldSun that is a couple of years old. Not sure why Sunwing (our supplier) can't supply that info!!!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Credit Card use for excursions???

Was at Costa Morena Dec 21-28é12 and they would not take cc for excursions. We were offered the Aquarium Trip for 110 CUC I think, Morning trip to Santiago - 35 CUC, jeep excursion, 65 CUC., boat tour with seafood lunch, about 70 cuc I think. We did go on the trip to city the second day and the rep waited until then to be paid for excursion we were on and others we had booked. There was also ATMs in the city but all had line ups so never tried them. The airport accepted CUC, Canadian cash or credit cards on the 28th of dec.

Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Cuba