We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

Dropping in for a little help in decision making.

We are 8 people traveling to Havana and Varadero in april 2018.

I can not decide on which property to book. I know a lot of the posts on here have said the sanctuary suffered major damage, -although the fb page seems to say its all good.

Its a matter of taste. Both look equally beautiful. We have a classic room not the level booked through melia. And we are looking at standard room at sanctuary.....

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

We stayed at Melia Varadero in April in a classic room, we requested, and got, a beautiful sea view. The resort is lovely, very clean, staff constantly visible cleaning and sweeping, service and food were good, entertainment varied and excellent. It is next door to the Plaza Las Americas. I'd stay again in a heartbeat. Just one thing, the beach is a shorter, sandwiched between the point on which the hotel sits and the area of the DuPont mansion. On the other side after the rocky point, the beach has no sun beds, it follows along to the Sol Palmeras

Mentioned in this post
Melia Varadero
Melia Varadero
5,803 Reviews
Cuba
Sol Palmeras
Sol Palmeras
6,892 Reviews
Cuba
Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

@jannid thank you for your feedback. It sounds like a lovely resprt. I think the one thing that has always left me looking for something else is the photos of the beach. All of the photos i have seen are gorgeous, but as you said, short. And that may be an issue with my aunts who are traveling with us as they are okder than us and probsbly not too keen on not having a chair to lounge on.

Still a tough decision!

Hoping to get feedback on Sanctuary.

Thanks again for your help!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
649 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

Be careful, the standard rooms are not in the Sanctuary section of the Grand Memories Varadero, they are in the main hotel and I wouldn't recommend that. The Sanctuary section only has suites.

I would prefer Sanctuary over Melia because it is adults only.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 13:05
Mentioned in this post
Grand Memories Varadero
Grand Memories Varadero
2,891 Reviews
Cuba
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

@mamaduck .. there are plenty of chairs to lounge on. The other poster was mentioning the beach off to the right side as you head over to Sol Palmeras. I don't actually think you can even enter the water here - or you couldn't in Jan 2016. The main beach (which is shorter as mentioned) has plenty of loungers.

We LOVED the Melia Varadero. We stayed in January 2016. We did upgrade to the level and honestly, I think it's worth it but not necessary if the funds aren't available. It's also a lot closer to town than the Memories resort if that makes a difference for you.

Yes the beach is shorter, but it's still the same beautiful white sand :)

Mentioned in this post
Sol Palmeras
Sol Palmeras
6,892 Reviews
Cuba
Melia Varadero
Melia Varadero
5,803 Reviews
Cuba
Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

@kim c.... i just checked, its a jr suite at memories. The ta i am working with referred to it as standard.

I think we are going to stick with the melia. I am notnsure if it is in the budget to upgrade. I will have to check that out.

Thank you all for the feedback!!!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

We did not upgrade at the Melia as the cost for us for one week out of eastern Canada was higher than we were willing to pay. We were very happy with our standard room and the amenities available to us.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 01:07
Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories

Thank you! I think we are staying at Melia and most likely sticking with the classic room. Would rather spend $ on other things while in Cuba

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Reply to: Melia Varadero/ Sanctuary at Grand Memories
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varadero