We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royalton

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Royalton

I saw this post on the FB Varadero hotel contact group:

" My boyfriend and I were scheduled to go to Varadero on Thurs. Sep 21st at 5:10p.m. and stay at the Royalton Hicacos. I received a voicemail tonight (Sep 20) at 5:30p.m. from Sunwing saying the hotel was not yet ready to receive us yet. They offered to send us to another resort or cancel with a full refund. We chose a refund because we have been moved around already and figured it just wasn't meant to be.. However, at 8:30p.m. tonight I received an email reply from the hotel directly stating: "Thank you so much for contact us, I would like to inform you that the hotel remains open. Water, lights, AC, bar service, entertaining is back to normal. Regarding restaurants, we have one a la carte open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Room service & snack place 24 hours available. Do not hesitate us anytime during your stay." Our interpretation is that even though the resort appears safe and operational with clean beaches/pools etc. Sunwing may have determined the resort may not be "up to par" and wanting to avoid complaints, the standards may be different as well. We know the Cubans are working so hard to restore and repair, we honour and appreciate them and pray for their continued strength through their rebuilding process. Bummed we are missing out this time, we will be back soon! "

I had seen that just after I had seen their most recent update video showing off their pool area and lobby bar but didn't show off any of the other areas people had requested like pool bar and other things. So according to the statement above they have 1 functioning a la carte restaurant in total. So I contacted the hotel via Facebook and got a response quickly. First they said they had given all of the information I need to my travel company. So I showed them the post, game the my reason for concern, and asked again if all of their restaurants / bars are currently open and again I got another run around response asking me to contact sunwing, see what they're saying, and then report that back to them; meanwhile they'll pass on my question to the commercial department and that they'll be sure to post recent photos of of all of their hotel. Why are they hiding from a simple yes or no question?

Mentioned in this post
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Royalton Hicacos...
5,127 Reviews
Cuba
19 replies to this topic
Whitby, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royalton

I had messaged them end of last week and got similar evasive response from them (actually they didn't respond to last message!) I also emailed the hotel, who asked when we are due to stay, their response to that was to say "you should be ok for that period" which doesn't really inspire much confidence! I had also asked which parts of hotel are functioning in email, but typically that was ignored.

I too had seen the post on Varadero Hotel Contact group so I have recently contacted them via Facebook, asking again about not only the status of hotel, but what is actually open and quoted the recent post from Facebook.

Additionally I have asked if Cooperskid is correct, when they say again about hotel closing (in questions & answers below reviews on here).

However I am not hopeful of a response let alone anything informative.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royalton

They asked me what dates I was traveling too. I didn't give them any dates. Instead I messaged SunWing via facebook, showed them the message from them that apparently Sunwing was given the information I needed by them. SunWing then also avoided the question and just said that the hotel is supposed to be closed up until the 24th. Then said since I'm travelling early October they will be fully functional by that time. So that not quite being an direct yes or no answer. I called into the phone line. Explained my case to them, and then was told that they information they have is that as of September 21st they are 100% open meaning "Should be" the entirety of the hotel. According to SunWing that is. So I then reported back to the Hotel via a FB message both findings and am waiting to hear back. I found it weird in the recent video that they said they we're going to show you around the hotel but stopped after the lobby and pool area despite people requesting to see the pool bar and some of the restaurants like the beach one for instance that took damage.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 00:13
Whitby, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royalton

I got this reply from them: "Thanks I really want to say we are open. That is why we are providing the accurate information through the travel agencies, because a lot of what is being published is not true. We are also posting accurate pictures & videos of our hotel. Our beach is amazing as usual. I hope this information may help. Please let me know what your travel agent says when you contact them...."

So similar non committed answer. I did reply straight away asking specifically about restaurants & rooms, but have had no response (in fact message hasn't even been opened) I think it is odd that they always ask to be told what the travel agent says?

I do believe that there is only one restaurant open etc...surely if everything was up & running the hotel would be keen to show it on their Facebook page, and would confirm this when messaged.

I shall be contacting our travel agent later today, but don't expect them to be especially informative or helpful.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royalton

We tried asking SunWing again through Facebook if they know as the hotel suggest they've been told so by them. And asked why we're getting different answers from SunWing's Phoneline (says everything is 100% open as of the 21st) vs FB ( says closed til the 24th then 100% open) , as well as the hotel.

Their Response:

Hi Adam,

We certainly understand your frustrations and sincerely apologize for any confusion.

Our reps in destination have been in communication with us about resorts and are doing their best to keep us updated as much as possible. At this time the most recent update is that this resort will be operational as of September 24. If anything is to change we will be sure to communicate the updates with all passengers about the changes.

Thank you for the feedback about the communication you received, we will be sending it over to the appropriate department for coaching purposes.

Thank you,

SK

Still waiting on a response from the hotel when I reported both information that Sunwing keeps repeating and not really an answer to the question that was asked at all. We would like to receive the 5 star service we paid for; if that can't be provided either tell us and offer alternatives or compensations instead of leaving us in the dark. I don't want to get down there and find out myself that I've been mislead. That's not gonna help either of their situations.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 16:09
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royalton

And yes, it is odd that they are asking what the travel agents are saying... Shouldn't they be saying the accurate information the hotel claims to have told the travel agencies? A Little fishy.

Stoke-on-Trent...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royalton

i completely agree, its so unfair, at present flights are cancelled from uk to varadero until 2nd of october, so we are waiting to find out if they are flying on the 12th and on top of that can get no information on the hotel via our tour operator, apparently they are waiting for some reports to be filled out, seem to get more info from here

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Royalton

Saw this post of someone's just now that they got from their travel company

"Had this from Thomas Cook today We have received an update regarding your hotel in Cuba and wanted to let you know of the following:

The main buffet restaurant will be closed until 30th September 2017

The wooden lobby bar is open but the floor is being extended

1 of the 2 beach bars is open

40 rooms on the 3rd floor are being repaired and you will be allocated a room away from this

On your transfer from the airport you will see other works happening.

Your holiday is going as normal but if you wish not to go, you are able to amend this holiday will zero admin fees and you can also cancel free of charge."

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Stoke-on-Trent...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royalton

thanks for this info, did they mention when they were due to go

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royalton

They did not; but I'd assume soon if they're contacting their travel agency

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royalton

It was my post and we are due to fly out next Friday :-)

Reply to: Royalton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted