We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee - a non hurricane question

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee - a non hurricane question

So at Los Cactus they have a fabulous coffee bar which they open up around 3 pm until later at night. A number of us have asked why they don't open it up in the morning when a coffee would be lovely. Middle of afternoon is too hot for a coffee. Yes they do make alcoholic ones but do not have to have one (people drink all day). Just wondering if other resorts have coffee bars and when they open? Is it a Cuban thing?

Mentioned in this post
Los Cactus
Los Cactus
2,818 Reviews
Cuba
21 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Perhaps they don't want to have to have another shift of staff ?

montreal
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Every other resorts i have been in Cuba yes coffee bars were open in the morning around 7am.

We want nothing to do with the coffee they serve at the buffet cheapest crap I ever had .

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London, Canada
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Forget the coffee, just drink the cappuccino, yummy.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

I love an espresso in the early mornings while out photographing.

I Have seen some "exclusive coffee bars" that open later. More like a special lounge for $+ with special Scotches, Rums, and Brandys. Naviti in Varadero has one.

Have never been to a Cuban resort where I couldn't get an espresso or espresso-machine-made coffee like Americano or cappuccino at 6 AM.

Like Gat0, I avoid the cheap instant coffee from the machines in Cuban Buffets and would go for a tea bag and hot water before drinking that awful crap.

Mentioned in this post
LABRANDA Varadero Resort
LABRANDA Varadero Resort
2,383 Reviews
Cuba
Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Hola :) This isn't resort related, but the first time our long time Cuban friends offered us an espresso in the hottest time of the day, I was very confused. Lol. I wanted a cerveza so bad, but I didn't want to be rude. So I drank the espresso, and then a cerveza. I do believe it is a culture thing for them. Ten years later, they know to skip me. Lol I'm assuming that's why they have coffee bars that open at this time. Our resort does too. I must say, I now enjoy a cappuccino at around four o'clock, on our holidays now. Guess it's rubbed off in me. :)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

We discovered a great coffee bar at the Tuxpan 2 years back much like the one at Los Cactus. It opened late afternoon as well. The coffee drinks were amazing in taste and presentation.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Tuxpan Varadero
Hotel Tuxpan Varadero
1,979 Reviews
Cuba
Los Cactus
Los Cactus
2,818 Reviews
Cuba
7. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2017, 14:35

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Need that now in fact....

Edited: 23 September 2017, 14:25
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Interesting. Did consider the staff shifts, but they have the same people working it and when not they are in the buffet. Also thought about the possibility of custom as well and yes I do love their cappuccinos. Still would be nice to have their special ones in the morning.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee - a non hurricane question

Kawama has a real nice coffee bar .

It used to open at 2 in the afternoon. Till 9 . ?? Strange .

But after suggestions from the regulars it is now open 7 in the morning til 5 .

Makes much more sence ... , and if you ask me better hour for the coffee lady .

Oh buy the way she make the best Cappa in the world .

Johnny C

Reply to: Coffee - a non hurricane question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted