We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best currency to exchange?

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best currency to exchange?

We are coming from the UK on Saturday and have read that if you exchange US dollars you end up being penalised.

What's the best currency to exchange and where would you exchange? We are staying at the Memories Varadero!

12 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best currency to exchange?

From the UK take English pounds.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best currency to exchange?

Take your own currency and exchange it at your hotel ... or bank if there is one close to memories (not sure there is) ..... The airport has an exchange counter but with the flight times on my trips they haven't been open.

Edited: 20 November 2017, 19:25
Vinales, Cuba
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best currency to exchange?

GBP or EUR, not USD, it have a huge charge.

Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best currency to exchange?

Memories has 2 banks to exchange your money. The one in the main lobby is open 24hrs. Just bring what you use at home. Do not bring American. They will take it but there is a penalty.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best currency to exchange?

Just a thought ...as we are English and going to cuba. .. tomorrow. .YAY!! but anyway, why would you be taking dollars if you are GB? and dollars for us to £ aren't very good anyway 😃?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best currency to exchange?

It doesn't make sense to make two exchanges anyway, less sense when there is the 10% penalty on USD cash.

The CUC exchange rates are calculated based on the international rates for the USD, so move with the USD.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best currency to exchange?

euros if you have on hand

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best currency to exchange?

Marlon, I am from UK but I already have $1,500 US roll over from my last trip - so I read it right that it will be a poor exchanging rate?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best currency to exchange?

@8 You will get 87 CUC for every $100USD.

If you change first to e.g. Euros you MAY end up with approx. 92 CUC for every $100 USD but it depends on what rate you get. You MAY actually be worse off doing double exchange compared with just taking USD.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best currency to exchange?

GM - if you want to get rid of the USD, ask your girlfriend what rate she can get.

It could well be better for you to change the USD to GBP and the GBP to CUC than to change the USD in a cadeca.

Reply to: Best currency to exchange?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted