We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

deet

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
deet

just been to the chemist to buy some deet but they had so many types i wasnt sure which one to get so can anyone give me any tips on which is the best to take

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: deet

I have tried various sorts but the one I find the most effective is from Boots. It's in the silver can and is called Boots Repel Insect Repellent Spray - extra strength - tropical.

It contains 50% DEET and gives protection for 4-5 hours.

Generally, the higher the DEET concentration, the longer the protection.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: deet

By looking at their website I notice that they are offering this product Buy One Get One Free at the moment, so it is particularly good value.

You could also buy the Boots Repel 2 Pin Plug-In Liquid Mosquito Killer for use in your room overnight.

Buy the euro 2 pin model as that way you will not need an adapter to plug it into the socket at your hotel.

Check out the Boots Repel range at this link:

http://tinyurl.com/28hg8j

Dunbar, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: deet

Hi there,

Im going to Cuba end Oct and i was in Jamaica last Nov/Dec and was bitten so badly by sand flies i had to get steroid injections so i want to avoid that situation again as it was very unpleasent, as was the jag in the butt LOL. I have just bought a product called BENS 100 it contains 100% deet and you can buy it from superdrug so hopefully it works, also i have heard from other travellers that avons Skin So Soft oil is meant to be a good deterrent too.

Best of luck

Yvonne.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: deet

There is very little, if anything; that repels those damned sand fleas.... they love to feast on me too......so should you find anything that works please do let me know. Ta

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: deet

Hi. Just returned from Cuba from my second visit and i have tried everything. Boots spray in the silver can 50% deet last year got bitten, this year I used the avon skin so soft and still got bitten. I use anti mozzie sun cream and after sun, I think if they like you they bite you but they get used to you by the second week!! Grin and bear it its worth it!!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: deet

Iberostar follower:

I think you are right, by the second week they move on to fresh blood from the new arrivals.

Bit like Dracula I suppose!!!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: deet

Hi all,

I am one of the lucky ones who hasn't been bitten the last four times but unfortunately my husband does.

Just been today to buy our boots silver spray & already got skin so soft dry oil spray.

Don't care about the mozzies anyway, just cannot wait to be there??? Oh well only 45 more sleeps

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: deet

Definitely Bens 100 - havent been bitten since I started using it - wonderful stuff!! I also combine it with Avon SSS, Its about the best you can do without a full metal body suit.........

9. Re: deet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:19