We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

I'm travelling in a group of 4 this weekend to Hotel Villa Cuba and our booking was for "run of the House" we were told by the agent this means we can have the best available room when we check in?

Has anyone had this type of booking before and what is the best type of room/accomodation to request. This is our first time to travel to Cuba and an all inclusive package.

I've seen mostly bad reviews posted on this resort over the past while including some in the past week. I'm concerned that we will not enjoy our vacation while there.

We were told it was a good deal at $950. each from Vancouver. After reading the reviews I'm feeling like we may have made a bad choice in booking.

Suggestions on rooms and comments very much appreciated! Not long till we go and not looking forward to it at this point after review most of the comments!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

My friend was there over Xmas and what she said was "you get what you pay for" She also got a good deal but went knowing this was not a 4* therefore knew what to expect. Her and her boyfriend did alot of excursions therefore did not spend alot of time at the resort. She said the food was edible but nothing to write home to mom about. They did choose to eat most dinners in town. But she said it was clean and the staff were mostly quite friendly. So go and enjoy and make the best of the lovely beaches and warm weather!After todays wind storms you can use it!

cananda
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

Hi Kathy,

Don't worry about not enjoying your trip. I have been to Villa Cuba six times and I really don't know what people expect when they go to Cuba. If you are worried about the food then take some from home. For example peanutbutter, jam, heinz ketchup, salt, pepper, chocolate, peanuts, chips and whatever else. Villa Cuba has a 24 hour snackbar that serves the best ham and cheese sandwiches ever. There is also a pizza place at the mall that is not too far from the resort.

As for the room, I have only stayed in the hotel once (villas every other time) and the room we were in was 2705 or 2707, maybe Charmaine can verify I think she stayed in the same room. It was like a suite. It had one LARGE bed, two bathrooms, (one bathroom only had a toilet and sink) the other one had a worldpool bath, we were provided with nice robes, there was a real bar, Large closet space, sitting room and a balcony over looking the pool and ocean.

The beach is breath taking and the staff are great. Let me know if you have any questions.

BJ

Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

Did Villa Cuba have whirlpool tub in the bath or on the balcony?

cananda
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

Thanks for picking out my mistake Carribean-Candi,

You are right, whirlpool tub. I must have been having a brain freeze. Too early in the day....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

Well it seems the people on the Forum are happy with Hotel Villa Cuba but for some reason the large majority on the the review site are not??

I'm anxious to go on vacation and definitely plan to enjoy my trip as much as possible. Thanks spudster101 for the info on pizza. I love pizza so hopefully it is very close for a daily trip.

Any suggestions which floor is best to get a room in the main building? I want to have a nice view of the ocean but at the same time don't want to walk alot of stairs if the elevator is not working right as so many people have said.

Anyone has done the horseback riding? I really want to do that but have no info at all on it other than around $15 hour?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

I stayed on the 4th Floor when I went last January. The room had a beautiful ocean view! It was clean and simple. If you have any questions about the resort PM me. I really enjoyed my visit there last year!

Jess :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

My wife and I stayed at Villa Cuba last January.

We booked it because it was a great deal, and were a bit concerned what it would be like.

We were some what disappointed when we first arrived to our room, as there was a very damp/mould smell in our room. We immediately asked to change rooms, and they were great about it and gave us a wonderful room with a seperate sunroom. The room was on the top floor (end end of hall - bit of a walk) but had an awesome view of the resort and the ocean. Like most resorts in Varadero, the Villa Cuba is an older resort, in need of some renovations. But, we really enjoyed ourselves.

The poolside bar is the major hub of the resort. Everyday at approx. 3:00 in afternoon, everyone meets there for afternoon cocktails. It was great!

The beach is the best beach area of all Varadero Beach, and you'll know what I mean when you get there. Beautiful!

The bank is next door for good exchange rates.

Don't worry, you'll have a great time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

we were at the Villa in sept and had a room on the second floor - facing the road/gardens. Be mindful that the elevators are old and cronky. There were several situations when wheelchair guests got stuck in an elevator while on their way to the 9th floor bar. The bar is worth visiting - great view.

Front office staff are not overly friendly; great staff elsewhere - particurly at the little BBQ restaurant on the way to the beach.

We met some people who have stayed at the Villa for over 20 yrs. They said they have tried other resorts but nothing matches the Villa for ambience and value. They always stay in a villa.

Enjoy!

9. Re: "Run of the House Booking"? Anyone had this type of booking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 19:15