We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Playa Alameda

manitoba
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Playa Alameda

Just booked last minute. First time to Cuba. Going mom and 16 yo daughter. Not much on this hotel. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Leaving on Jan 26th. Any special needs (ie. electricity issues, etc). Any rooms I should be asking for? Thx.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Hi Cubabound, I'm not going till April but someone gave me some good tips on this resort a few days ago. Click on my name and look for the threat Iberostar Playa Alamed.Help! Ollie94 gave me some great info!

Level Contributor
388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

All electrical here is 220. If you are looking to charge batteries or anything like that you have to make sure your charger has the ability to convert from 120-240V. If it does then all you need is a plug to go into the wall socket. We got married at the Alameda in Feb 05 and went back 06 and 07. We cannot go back this year but we wish we could. I would ask for a room as far away as possible from the front bar. Ask for something close to the ocean and perhaps on the 2nd or 3rd floors. Being on the ground floor can get a little loud if you have late partiers above you. If you have any special needs its best to email the resort before hand to ensure that they can help you out (ex: disabled bathroom).

If you go thinking that a 4+ in Cuba is anything like a 4+ in Canada then you will be sadly mistaken. The resorts are very nice and are well maintened but the Cubans do not have access to many things we do.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will have a great time at this resort. If you have any other questions just let me know.

manitoba
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Thanks everyone. Did check out all of your advice and found it helpful. Not expecting too much from Cuba, but hoping for some really nice weather. I am a DR lover, but wanted to try something different this year. I'll definitely want to ask for the third floor and an upgrade but wonder at what time I should do this - email or at check-in? Don't want to have to pay for this tho. Is it pretty safe for a mom and her daughter to take the bus to Varadero for the day on their own?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Google Iberostar Resorts, find the page of resort you are going to and locate the contact info which should have an e-mail direct to the hotel. Then e-mail them with your arrival details (date, time, tour company, etc.) and your room request.

As for touring Varadero, no problem. Unlike D.R., Cuba is as safe as you can get, probably even safer than Canada. I wouldn't worry about a thing, you can even walk the beach at nite, or to the town and back to your hotel at nite without any risk whatsoever. This is one of the main attractions of Cuba over D.R., Mexico, Jamaica etc...

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Hi there, we upgraded to an oceanview room on the second day. I wasn't crazy about our first view so we went down in the morning and by 1 p.m we had a new room, free of charge. We even got to go and check it out before we took it.

My husband and I were also big D.R. lovers but it's all about Cuba now. I wouldn't say not to expect much from Cuba. The biggest thing people set their expectations too high for is the food. We don't have a problem with the food and that isn't what we go for. As you will see, the people are amazing! We're planning a trip back in May or June with our 13 and 18 year old daughters. Can't wait.

Totally safe to take the bus into Veradero. You will find it very different in Cuba compared to Dominican. You will feel very safe. The bus is 5 pesos for the whole day. It picks you up at the gates outside the resort. Make sure you keep your ticket as you will need it everytime you get off and on the bus. The flea market is awesome. Take a ride in a Coco Taxi if you get the chance.

You will love this place! Enjoy. Adios

manitoba
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Thanks again. Everytime I read this thread and your comments, I think of another question, sorry. Our flight arrives in Varadero at 6:20 am, and we will likely have to wait until later afternoon for a room. Is there a safe at the front desk to put money away in until the room is ready? Other suggestions? Thx

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

I don't believe that there is. I don't recall being offered that and to tell you the truth, we didn't even think of it. I think you'd be better off keeping it with you anyway. Not that people aren't trustworthy but you would hate to lose your money. We kept a carry on with us so we could keep all of our stuff in that. Make sure you have things to change into handy so you can enjoy the heat while you wait. Have fun, I am soooo jealous. Please say hi to Oreste at the beach. He is the wonderful man who runs to get you a lounger and is so friendly and warm hearted. Loved him. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

manitoba
Level Contributor
291 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

THanks, Pumkinhead. Getting very excited now!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Wish I was leaving Jan 26.:(Oh well only what 81 more sleeps for me!!!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda

Another Great Review today for this resort!!!Getting excited as I watch it snow yet again!