We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours You would recommend doing

Calgary
2 posts
Save Topic
Tours You would recommend doing

We are heading down to Varadero first week of April and would like to do some interesting tours. I know there is a lot to choose from at the hotel, but I was hoping to do something less touristy and more authentic. We are pretty outdoorsy and would be up for anything. Any recommendations?

West Koot.BC
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Hi, we were in Varadero from Mar 3 to Mar 10. We did 3 excursions: Havana Hirtoric $67 each; Catamaran $75 each; and The Guama,Sugar and History Tour $59 each. Our favorite was the Guama, Sugar & History tour, it has a bunch of interesting stops, you also see some of how locals live. Your lunch is included. You go on a steam train to a sugar cane field & sample sugar cane; visit a crocodile farm; speed boat down a river across a reservoir to a native village.It was a full day pick up at 8:30 back at around 6:30. If you have more questions about any of the three we took you can PM me.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

What did you do on the Historic Havana? Also how long was it? Thanks in advance.Michelle

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

We did the Catamaran and it was the best day!! Also did Havana historic and it was OK. I really got the feeling we saw what they wanted us to see in Havana, not the city as it really is. Lots of people we know did the Havana/Tropicana day and they loved it.

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Of all the tours I have taken, I liked the Jeep tour the best. If you don't want to drive your own jeep tell the guide you want to be a passenger. We seen lots on that tour. There are a couple of different ones, but I heard they are both good. Ours included a drive way out in the country, a boat ride up the Canimar River, Snorkleing at Coral Beach, A couple of hours at a Cuban farm (made just for tourists) We had lunch there, a band played music, we could relax or go for a boat ride, or ride a bull or horses, hold a big snake, or baby croc? or relax in a hammock, shop in a souvineer store. We also stopped at Saturno Cave and went swimming in the cave..so wear or bring your swimsuit and a towel. Driving back into Varadero we took a different route and seen some of the Cubans houses. It was a great day. The trip to Havana is also good. Bring money for souvineer shopping. Remember...at the end of the trips, your driver/guide will be waiting for a tip.

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Thank you for you help. The jeep tour sounds interesting. Is there a website I can visit or did you book it through your hotel?

Thanks

on
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Hi chilylilly...Can we get more info.on your jeeptour.That is the one we want to go on. we leave on thur march27...Would like to book this tour ASAP as we hear it books up fast..many thanks...seagal

Canada
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

We really enjoyed the Havana day tour. The old part city is quite amazing. Beautiful architecture and lots of character. I highly recommend this trip, it was definitely a highlight for us.

The catamaran trip was very good too. Included dolphin swim, snorkeling and lunch/free time on Cayo Blanco. If there is a more beautiful spot on the planet, I'd like to know about it.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

I'm glad to read so many good things about the catamaran tour and the Havana day trip tour.

My mom and I plan on doing both when we're in Cuba.

Question for those who did the Havana day trip: was it a walking tour or a guided bus tour type thing? Was there any "free time" during the day to explore Havana on your own?

Thanks!

Hamilton,. On
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Hi! We're leaving tommorow and we would like to do the Havana Cigar Factory Trip. Can someone, please tell if there is a lot of walking! I am 7 and a half months pregnant, so walking a whole day doesn't really appeal to me... Thanks!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours You would recommend doing

Try this link:

cuba-excursions.com/by_destination/varadero.…

It lists all the excursions available and the prices.

Hope this helps.

We plan on doing the Catamaran and the Havana trip and possibly the Jeep tour.