We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero airport

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Varadero airport

Just got back today, luggage was over by 9 kilos! Try asking if they'll accept a tip instead of the 14 cuc per kilo. We tipped the guy 15 cuc and our friends paid 112 cuc for the same...

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varadero airport

thats one way corruption starts and grows ....

Good for you but maybe not so good for the next people.

Just my 3 centavos worth.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varadero airport

I absolutely agree with Manfredz.

BTW, was it really over by 9 kilos or was there a foot on the scale. Pinamimi had an experience with that trick.

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varadero airport

It was really over by 9 kilos. Our guy only weighed our cases as well, but the others he weighed the hand luggage and even a tiny handbag. The rep was trying to help but was just hitting a blank wall. I appreciate what your saying but i'd rather pay 15 than 112

Fredericton
Level Contributor
269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varadero airport

The tourist in front of me, was also over, he was asked if he wanted to give a tip instead of paying the extra charge. He told her that he only had 5CUC left,and she said "that was fine". This is how the people of Cuba live, right or wrong.

Watch the people who take the money at the departure tax booth. If you give them a $20,they will not offer you change. Both my wife, and I, had to ask for it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varadero airport

can someone clarify this for me, it's not the first time I've read about being "over" at the airport.

Is the overage based on the airlines allowance or is there another weight restriction to take into account?

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varadero airport

if you gave them $20.- why would you expect change since the departure tax is 25 CUC.

As for the being being overweight question, its like every airport in the world - your carrier/airline has a backage weight allowance for your flight/class (as well as how many pieces). if you're above that you may be asked to pay. And yes sometimes they weigh your carryon because sometimes it will be included in your allowance. At other times there will also be a max weight/size on your carryon.

Some enterprising check in clerks in Cuba (as well as in other countries) may have their thumb on the scale so you're showing as being overweight when you're not - a fact they'll ignore for some financial consideration.

Fredericton
Level Contributor
269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varadero airport

Sorry about that. It was 30CUC that was given to the departure tax people.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varadero airport

Hey Julie,

How did your luggage get so over weight. Did you smuggle those puppies back that Lana left behind?? LOL. I had the same situation at the Varadero airport a couple of years ago. I didn't check to see if the guys foot was on the scale but our bags should have been a lot lighter coming home then going down since we had brought and gave out a huge amount of school supplies at the school in Santa Cruz. It cost me 10 CUC which was a lot less then what it would have cost me otherwise. I did know at that time to see where the baggage guys foot was because, again, we should have been a lot lighter in baggage.

Kagey

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varadero airport

We just got back today as well and when I weighed my suitcase when I got home it was over 2 kgs!! Nobody said anything and didn't have to pay anything but I knew it was over cause I like to shop!!!

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varadero airport

Hi Kagey,

No didn't manage to smuggle the puppies back! Just bought loads of rum and coffee liqueur. It was only 3 cuc per bottle. We knew the luggage was over but hoped we could wing it, it's not easy trying to guess the weight though as the cases were so packed you couldn't see the weight reading on the scales! We'll email you soon. Julie & Gerry