We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Varadero to Havana?

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Is there a Bus service from Varadero to havana regularly? (also cost)

How safe is it to plan an overnight trip to havana on your own or would you reccomend that this is done in resort with reps?

Some of the hotels in Havana look fabulous and I think I'd like to pick where I saty overnight as this is one thing I'm defo doing!

thanks

xx

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Viazul bus to between Varadero and Havana costs 10CUC. For the schedule, you can go to:

www.viazul.cu

But there is also a return from Havana to Varadero at 6 pm that is not on the site.

As for doing it by yourself, yes, it is really safe and is a lot better to have the liberty to do what you want, when you want. And once in Havana, you can easily find a cab driver who will show you around the town for a reasonnable price. But the best in my opinion is to walk Havana.

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Hi thanks for that

I am looking at the timetable now and its says varadero 21.25. Is that the only departure to havana?

Return it says 20.15 but also you say 6pm

cant get to grips with the costing table either :-)

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm just 'pretending' to reserve and further pages along its showing me times etc.

is there a Viazul depot in Varadero then as if I reserve the bus now (before we get there) then we have to show our passports and ticket reservations 30 minutes before boarding.

Can you just turn up at the stop and get on?

thanks again

xx

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

in varadero the bus depot is at the foot of calle 36 (could be slightly off with the number) where it meets the autopista.

Once inside the depot turn right and you'll see viazul has a totally seperate area. Althou I've never taken the bus to Havana ( just the Santa Clara/Triniidad bus), I notice the Havana bus was pretty full - so its best to go buy your tickets a day ahead. I've never been asked for my passport in Varadero but had to present it in Santa Clara, so best to bring it just in case.

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Excellent info thanks ever so much.

10 days to go!!

xx

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

hi- question how many hours by bus Veradero to Havana?

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

The Viazul bus takes almost three hours, as it stops at the Varadero airport, then in Matanzas, then at a rest stop (for about 10 minutes) about 45 minutes outside Havana. It is a pleasant ride.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

thanks for the info

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

I keep a two-sided, reduced, laminated copy of my passport with me at all times when in Cuba. It's surprising how many things you need it for. They need it for the passport number so a copy has always sufficed for me. Bus tickets, renting scooters, and even when buying cigars you need it.

When I went to Havana from Varadero about 5 years ago on the Hershey electric train (from Matanzas) none of the people who were with me brought copies. They didn't ask at train station going down, maybe because we were the only tourists there. We stayed at a casa in Havana overnight and could not buy a bus or train ticket to go back the next day without copies of all our passports. We found a tour bus from Varadero in old Havana and we were able to give the driver cash to take us back.

I also agree to just go the Viazul terminal the day before you want to go to get your ticket.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Tryinginvain, the casa's owner did not ask for the passport??? Because it is required that every guess register to stay in the casa, either with his passport (for the foreigners) or the canet (for the Cubans)...

Also, we all should be aware that we are obliged by Cuban laws to have the proper ID on us at all time. Once again, for a tourist, it's the passport, for the CUban, it's the carnet. But a good copy was always accepted by the autorities, from what I have seen anyway.

So everybody, from the moment you leave the surroundings of your resort to the moment you come back, you should always have your passport or a copy with you. I learned it the hard way when I left my passport in camaguey and whent to Santiago... Lucky for us, a friend of the family was one of the chef of the Santiago police, so he arranged everything and we ended up spending the night at his house!!! lol