We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

check out the most recent SLS review

montreal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
check out the most recent SLS review

It is amazing how much things have not changed since Nov 2007. Last year, at this same time, SLS was getting not so great reviews. Let me say, I had a great time when I went, as I am hoping to when I go again this year. It just seems amazing to me that this hotel cannot seem to get it together. If not for the food complaints, it would be a 5 star for sure. As per my visit in November 2007, the beach is very nice ...so the beach complaints are a mystery to me. The food needs alot of improvement, but no one will starve. The rooms were nice and the staff was friendly. By the way, my prayers go out to the victims of Paloma.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

i am going to SLS in a just 18 days and the constant bad reviews are starting to annoy me. How can it be as bad as all these people say???

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

we were there in February. I too went with an open mind and tried to ignore the complaints. Unfortunately, they were correct. I feel the place needs better management. It has such potential.

Here's my review if you care to look:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147275-d672…

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

well if most of the issues are during the month of Nov, could it be possible that the resort has difficulty keeping things up during Hurricane season?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

I have friends who are considering this resort and have never been to Cuba before. I don't want them to get turned off of Cuba for something like this. They really wanted to see Varadero. I was trying to encourage them to go to Playa Pesquero in Holguin but I think they might be worried about the "after Ike" condition at PP.

Would Sirenis really be that bad compared to PP?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

We have been back now from SLS just over 3 weeks - and it does not even sound like the same place.

The beach was fine - it was warm; shallow and clear!!! Never had a problem with wves at all!

As for the food - there was plenty to eat at anytime of the day, fresh meat; fish; pastas; salads; rice dishes; vegetable dishes - and the list goes on.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

TIGS- thanks. thats reassuring. i like to go with an open mind so i hope i wont be disappointed.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

No problem. I have written a review and submitted it twice, but it is still not up yet. Its pretty detailed and honest.

Sure the food could have been better, we have had worse in Cuba if that helps!!! The only place I was not keen on eating at was the beach grill for lunch, I had a hamburger that was not very good at all, (fried were good though) but everyone else had a great lunch!!! The snack bar at the quiet pool serves up a mean tuna salad sandwich if you like tuna!!!

Manitoba
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

ssunlover - I have read and gone over every review I can on SLS prior to booking and even now. If it's so bad I cannot imagine why it is rated 24/268 hotels in cuba. I am not looking for a 5 star canadian hotel, had them & it would come with Manitoba winters! We have decided to go with the flow - so long as it is clean and safe those are my 2 priorities - the rest will fall into place and if I lose weight I'd be healthier for it - will just make up the calories in the yummy drinks! No sense frettin' now -it's booked and only "11 sleeps left" before we leave the snow behind!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

i have 18 more sleeps til we leave! :)

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: check out the most recent SLS review

We're leaving on the 14th and will post reviews as soon as I get back. I think as long as you go with an open mind and not to have high expectations on food factor I think you'll be fine. We are travelling with 2 teenagers who have travelled with us to Mexican and Punta Cana resorts where food have been exceptional however they have been advised to keep an open mind and not to have high expectations this time around... we'll see - it's a vacation and that's all that matters!!!