We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for the room cleaning staff

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for the room cleaning staff

Besides cash, what are the most needed/appreciated small items to leave for the room staff in Cuba? Thanks

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

razors,panty hose,your old shoes,clothing,chocolate,anything really is appreciated......small perfumes,nail polish,cosmetics of any type,little gifts for their children...whatever you leave will find a good home with someone...Razors are in big demand and always very welcome.......also,Advil,polysporin,anything like that......!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

Just a reminder....what your chambermaid gets....lets say something in every 2nd room from the guests. Of course we were generous and along with the goodies....left a 1CUC and Smarties....or candies and gum of some kind for at least 4 children along with a cute "Muchas Gracias" note with lots of pretty stickers on it. On our last day....because we were leaving in the morning....took half of our left over stuff like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, shaving cream, etc....to the people that work at the desk (the forgotten ones) and the rest was left in the room with a tip for the clean-up crew. The desk people with big smiles couldn't do enough for us.

I had also given an 18 month old outfit to our chambermaid. One of our holiday friends ended up giving everything they brought for the chambermaid...because the time just flew by so quickly and they didn't take a trip off to the village like we did.

We tend to strike up conversations with people that work on the resort....like the fellow who was doing the gardening....but was also on mop-up duty because of all the rain and had to keep the hallways dry. Told us that he lost a side of his house and the whole family was in the end of a room.... While I talked to him, hubby went and got a tarp and a pkg. of rope. Well you should have seen him when we gave it to him. He kept on saying that it was going to be his Birthday in 2 days and this was the best gift that he could receive. Now that really made my heart jump for joy! I think I am going to have a good cry now...........

Canada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

Gently used clothes is always good. My hubby and I like to take old t-shirts, baseball caps, razors (great for the gardeners and bartenders), anything for babies/kids: colouring books, pens, pencils, crayons, clothes.

Maids loves sample packages of perfume, lotion, earrings & hair scrunchies & barrettes, panty hose, leggings and tampons/pads.

We pick up the majority from our local dollar store to take down and it really doesn't take up much room. I also leave all our travel size items behind, shaving cream etc.....

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

The chambermaids get lots of goodies...don't forget the other workers. I love taking gifts down for the gardeners and groundskeepers. I watched a fellow weed a flowerbed with a stick..that's why I always take gardening stuff...gloves, small weeders, those 'multi-tool' folding knives, twine, pruners...That's why I never seem to have enough clothes when I go to Cuba...all my luggage weight is gardening stuff...!

Small infants booties, slippers & shoes are very well received. I found some at my local Wal Mart discounted to $1.00 to $3.00 per pair. I've got them stashed away for my next trip ...(whenever that may be)...soon I hope.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

These are some good suggestions. I'll pack some work gloves and some sundries. Would bar soap, like Zest be appropriate?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

Hand soap is in very short supply at the moment, believe it or not, and makes an excellent gift.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

We use to give to the chambermaids thinking that they were the best resource to pass them along to others. I have since learned otherwise. What they get THEY keep and sell to the others.

I left my top and contacted the resort to get them to put it aside as we had friends coming down. I believe our friend that works there had to buy it back from the maid - my top. I have no proof just a belief/feeling. But I do know that the gifts and lost and found are usually sold to other workers by the chambermaids.

So if you want to share - share with all the other hard working individuals. Customer service people seldom get more than complaints and the odd 'thank you'

8. Re: Gifts for the room cleaning staff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 06:37