We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinking age??

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dinking age??

What is the legal drinking age in Cuba? I had thought it was 18, but wanted to be sure.

How strict are they with this at the resorts?

I have a son who is almost 18, do you think they would give him an adult bracelet?

I know in Mexico, my daughter was to turn 18 days after we got home and they refused to give her one. Was not a big deal to us, but would have been nicer for her to be able to order a few drinks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
919 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinking age??

As far as I know the legal age in Cuba is 16.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
690 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinking age??

The "legal"drinking age is 16... for resorts its up to the parents, if you wish them to drink, let them, if not, notify the manager... same with the bars, been many times with friends and cousins... over and under the age... they were never asked for ID, nor was there an issue if they wanted a drink. The resorts are not very strict.

Enjoy the vacation!

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinking age??

Hi momto4:

I think you will find that many will give you different answers to this. All "buyers" (locals and tourists) must be 16 to purchase alcohol. Thus comes the question of staying on the resort where you dont actually have to "pay" for your drinks (you have already done that). Some of the girls that I have travelled with were 16 and 17 and they were served alcohol. Never once were they asked their age. BUT, they were asked "Is he your father?" and "Is that your mother by the pool?" and after 2 or 3 drinks, they were served "virgin" cocktails instead of alcoholic ones, without being asked to do so.

I think that there are different rules for locals and tourists also, but I could be wrong.

I also think there may be different experiences off the resort as opposed to on the resort.

I think if your son is 18, he will be served alcohol and yes, he will have an adult bracelet. Cuba is not Mexico with regards to many things, alcohol being one.

~S~

Toronto
Level Contributor
654 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinking age??

The first time I went to Cuba I was 17 and I had no problems. I stayed at the Bella Costa...was able to order alcohol and never asked for ID to hit the clubs which I did frequently back then sans my parentals! LOL

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinking age??

So you don't have to wear bracelets in Cuba?

In Mexico, we had to wear bracelets and the color identified the age to the bartenders.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinking age??

No, you don,t have to wear bracelets in Cuba, just in the hotels... (sorry, couldn't resist, I know what you mean MomAlberta...)

Most hotels make you wear a bracelet, and most will have a different colors for underaged. Sometimes, they give the "underaged" bracelet to those 15 yearws old and less, sometimes to the 17 and less... Some hotels don,t have bracelets at all... So it always depends where you are, what time of the year it is, how they feel... As the things change constantly in Cuba!

Lively, Ontario
Level Contributor
157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinking age??

we had no bracelets in holguin and my 13 year old, who looked 13 at the time, was served. she thought her slushy was 'bad' when in fact it was about 70 % rum....unless you said 'no rum' it seemed you got rum, and lots of it! LOL

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinking age??

At Sirenis la Salina my 15 (almost 16) year old nephew was "over served" on our first night. My sister in law inquired about getting him a bracelet so he could not be served, and the manager practically laughed at her. He said there was no such thing.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinking age??

Finnmac, maybe the bartender thought she was getting a drink for her parents.

edmonton
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinking age??

As we go south every year my son now 14 knows to request drinks with no alcohol. I usualy do the rounds with him on the first day and inform the bartenders of his age. If there is any question as to if there is rum in his drink he will ask one of us to try it - or just get a new one expressing no alcohol again.