We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport...?give to hotel.

Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Passport...?give to hotel.

Hi, I thought I read somewhere that the hotels require you to give them your passport for the duration of the stay. Is this true? We are booked into an AI for the week however will be travelling to Havana for 4 days. I would not feel comfortable giving up my passport and so was wondering what your advice would be. Anyone know about this?

Thanks.

cornwall
Level Contributor
354 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

Yes,they do ask for your passport and usually return it the next day.

Something you can do is get a photocopy of your passport and give them that.They will usally accept this as well.

I also will not be giving my passport.

11 days to go!!!!!!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

I never had to give mine. I just showed it along with my printed off confirmation paper and I was handed both of them back before I left the check-in counter. If they did need to keep it, I had already made a photocopy of it before I left home. It may have made a difference because there wasn't many people checking in at the same time we were so they had time to fill in whatever they needed without holding up the line.

3. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2009, 01:18
White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

Only time we've ever been asked to leave our passport with the front desk overnight was back in early 2003 when the Barcelo Solymar first opened. There were a LOT of guests arriving same time as us! I was prepared with a photocopy which btw, I did request back the next day. Photocopies of a passport page are not something you want left lying around or in the hand of others!!

At all other resorts we've ever been to, your passport number is required on the registration card you are asked to complete at check-in. You fill in the card, sign it, and keep your passport in your possession at all times.

Make sure to lock passports and valuables into the safe the minute you get to your room!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

While Deb is correct that you don't generally need your passport for touristy excursions, you MUST have your passport when doing certain transactions at banks or paying with a credit card at stores. Plan ahead!

6. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2009, 01:18
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

we were asked for our passports, I photocopied ours (in color) and carried the copies with me everywhere I went. I was asked a couple of times for my passport, voila - here's here you go.

Left the original in the safe where it belonged.

I would never leave it with anyone, anywhere !

Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will photocopy our passports before we go. Good idea.

Moncton NB
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

replying without reading the other replies...

our resort wanted them but they were happy with photocopies..

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport...?give to hotel.

I must have rotten luck because both times I've gone to the bank in Havana to get a cash advance on my credit card, they asked for my original passport and wouldn't accept a photo copy.