We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

It is so weird to read reviews where people really liked the resort but they have to add that the food was not good. Have we just come to think of Cuban food as not good and therefore we really think of it that way. Our last 3 trips to Cuba we have not minded the food at all. It is different then what we have at home but I would not say it is terrible or not even good. We have in fact had some pretty good meals in Cuba.

I really wonder if people comment badly about the food in Cuba because that is what is expected. Why not go with an open mind and say you will like the food just to see if it does change your take on it. If you go into something planning to dislike it ahead of time chances are you will!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

We really enjoyed the food at the OGPT this past Christmas. It was different for sure, but that is to be expected. You want to experience really crappy food, try military ration packs (Hard Rats). You'll appreciate anything after that....LOL

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

Hola

Review are the god's truth so yes it is mandatory ...

But then again I've had crap food at some peoples house and them I'm sure at mine so ... to each his own... make your own opinion and keep it quiet that there is good food ... shhh

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

We spent almost 3 weeks in Cuba last month and had many meals we really enjoyed. Lots of fish, seafood and chicken. We ate in paladares and in casas particulares as well as some state-owned restaurants. I especially liked the food done 'a la criolla', a sauce that varied but always had peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, herbs and spices. I also had some great dishes made with black beans in various stews. The chicken was always tasty, the fish and shrimps done 'al ajo' always delicious.

I also heard beforehand that the food was not very good but we were surprised how good the food was and had some truly memorable meals in every place we travelled to.

We even had a great meal in Chinatown in Havana, a sort of Cubanized chop suey

Even the ubiquitous ham and cheese sandwiches on sale on the street everywhere were quite tasty especially when toasted.

And the Coppelia ice cream is to die for! Real ice cream without that cardboard fluff aftertaste that we get here.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

When I hear people complaining about the food I always wonder what the heck these people are eating at home! They must have a personal chef and servants on staff. Me, I guess I'm just out of my element and too stupid to realize what crappy food is being served to me.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

I enjoy the food off the resorts even more, but then again - what do I know.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

I always look forward to my Cayo Guillermo holiday,food included.My uncles and cousins were all lobster fisherman so I have eaten a fare share of it,and eaten it in everyway possible way all my life.My mother was a professional cook. But none compared with the lobster I was served at both MCG and SCG.Period.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

I spent 2 weeks there last month and loved the food... now I DID miss a sloppy Burger King burger... but I lived on Black beans and rice and meat and salad and the BEST bread I have ever had... needed the carbs to offset all the RUM!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

Some people are pickier than others.

Some people dine out at the finest restaurants, sniffing premier cru vintages of wine every week and at home cook with the most expensive and freshest ingredients using appliances worth more than my home....

Others think ordering out BBQ chicken on a Friday night and having a beer is a joyful gastronomical experience...

Which of these two groups do you think are complaining about the food in Cuba.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

Quite right platypus. The thing is, if you want fine dining, the only chance you have is to seek out and pay for the very best Cuba has to offer. It DOES exist. To book a 4* in Cuba and expect fine dining is unrealistic and frankly makes one look quite stupid. Someone who is truly used to that level of service would know better.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Mandatory to not like the Food in Cuba!

Actually I have eaten out at some very 'fine' restaurants and some of the stuff I have been served at these places are not much better then in Cuba. And for sure the service we have received in Cuba and the DR would put alot of 'high end' restaurants here at home to shame!