We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card for excursions??

kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
credit card for excursions??

hello

I was wondering if you can use a credit card to book excursions at the resort? I only wanted to take money for departure tax,tipping and a souviener!

thanks kim

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card for excursions??

Here are a couple of pages that may help you.

Ian.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c69372/Cuba…

Also read Martian24's Inside page at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cub…

|

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card for excursions??

credit card to book excursions at the resort?

Thats what we intend to do.......

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card for excursions??

Hola

This should be no problemo...

I the worst case you may have to take cash from you credit card at a bank (take your passport).

There is no surcharge on credit cards in Cuba and with the buy sell rates and any bank costs in Canada ... the price will work out relatively the same.

Most take credit cards as back up

Mardi

montreal
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card for excursions??

Also these guys who will sell you the excursion are going to tell you the same thing as most of us heard when we paid with a credit card .

Hey my frieen or you prefer amigo if you pay with a credit card i will have to charge you an extra 10 % and when you get your bill at the end of the month you will see that its not true .

So listen to the others and yes pay with the credit card from a Canadian bank .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card for excursions??

The Cubans perpetuate the credit card surcharge myth because they'd much rather you pay in cash. A credit card purchase means there's no opportunity to "massage" the books...

Cheers,

Terry

montreal
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card for excursions??

Martian24 Oh my god No a Cuban would not do that they are such sweet people with such a good education i can not believe this NO NO NO ..... ...

When i got there on the 29 of may and went to rent my car the guy wanted me to pay the insurance cash 180 CUC and i told him no that i wanted everything on my Visa and again i heard the same story about the surcharge and i told him fine i will give you cash but you are going to get 100CUC and finally agreed on 120 CUC and yes i know were the money goes but at least i got 60CUC back in my pocket .

By the way the scam game im telling you is allways with the same guys at the resort .

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card for excursions??

If the exchange is high, it is definetely better to pay for your excursion with your Visa, it will probably save you some money. Also before you leave for Cuba, call your Credit Card representative to let them know you will be in Cuba for your holiday and for how long.

kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card for excursions??

Thanks for the heads up guys.

We will be using are Visa to book excursions as like I said I do not want to take alot of cash.

thanks cant wait til july 10th

kim

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit card for excursions??

and when the expense shows up on your Visa it will be a US exchange rate !

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: credit card for excursions??

I pay for all excursions and resort tienda purchases on my credit card. I get the surcharge myth thrown at me once in a while. I don't like carrying piles of cash either. just keep track of your expenses, (receipts). Some times it can take quite a while for the purchases to show up on your credit card account when yopu get home.

One purchase took at least a month before it appeared on my account. I bank online. I though for a week or two I had struck it rich!