We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Varadero

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New to Varadero

Hi, I'm in my late 20s. Planning to go solo (so far).

Some older guy that went with a singles group told me it had been a blast - but I'm more inclined to go by myself and then see what clubs are open - also take my time to do some sightseeing and get to know the place.

1) I'm looking for a single-friendly hotel with a fair number of people in my age bracket (and at least some from my country) and a good beach to relax during the day. I'll consider budget constraints later on. . .

2) Is it possible/comfortable/safe to walk along the peninsula (or at least part of it) for the sake visiting different beaches, hotels, shops, clubs, etc. . . Is there a sidewalk for that matter? How much is one hotel-bound here (convenience of all included packages)?. Do I need to rent a car to get around?. Are you bound to the beach in front of your hotel or can still try a few different beaches.

3) Is there any particular difference between each side of the peninsula?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Varadero

Hi Every.,I can try to answer some of your questons..,you can walk the beach as far you want to,no restrictions at all,but to visit different resorts during your walk could be a problem,as most resorts would require you to purchase a "day pass' to use their vacilities.

If you are staying in Veradero,no need to rent a car,there is a Double Decker bus,that runs from either 8 or 9 am to 8 or 9 pm, 5 CUC for an all day pass,off and on as many times as you want,or you can always get/share a taxi.

Veradero is very safe,and has a virbrant downtown area,and great nightlife..,but just use your normal street smarts as you would in any unknown area to you,and you will be fine.

Killarney
Level Contributor
83 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Varadero

Im also in the same boat, probably going to be doing a solo trip in January as most of my friends are not well enough established or are still in university and cannot affored to travel. Let me know if you have found a good resort for solo travellers. I was thinking about Playa Caleta i read a bunch of reviews and it sounds not bad and was recommended to me by another solo traveller. I have not booked anything yet but I am forcasting my trip for mid january as I am awaiting to find out if I can get anyone to splurge for a trip. If your going earlier let me know how it was for a solo trip.

Havana, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Varadero

You can check Melia Las Antillas. Nice growd there, it depends but sometimes quite young crowd.

Varadero is safe, you can walk there with no problem, although the hotel area is quite distant from the city, but you can use the double decker or take a cab.

Vibrant nightlife: La Rumba, Mambo Club, Casa de la Musica, Calle 62, just to name a few.

The Varadero main street is just being camerized, every 3rd or forth street has its nice survillance camera.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Varadero

Thanks.

So far, I intend to go around March - April.

Is that an ok time regarding the weather, nightlife, etc?.

I've heard there are a lot of bluebottles (which I dread) towards the winter.

I think the guy I know went to Melia Las Americas. What's the main difference?

Also, when is low season and high season here?

Thank you very much again for the feedback.

Cheers.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Varadero

Hola

Coming from Argentina ... what places do the travel agents there recommend in Varadero.

Some european comapnies seem to prefer certain resorts and seem to cater to certain people (ie Italians, Germans etc.) so check that out.

The main side of the Penincula has the beach, the othere side is rocky and has the Auto Pista (highway)

High and low season is relative.

Canadians seem to predominate the late fall, winter and spring months

South Americans seem to go in Summer as it is winter on your side.

Here is some satellite imagery to pan around or zoom in and out so you can become more oriented with things that are mentioned.

wikimapia.org/…1

If I was to recommend a resort to you it would be Cuatro Palmas

Mardi

Gatineau Quebec
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Varadero

Hi,

here is my tip to you. First, the best kind of hotel for you would be a 3 and a half star. The people in it tends to be younger than the 4 and 5. I went by myself 2 years ago and i had a blast. What is goo about Varadero is that its a very commercial city that is based on tourism. There is always something to do there.It always depends on what kind of person you are. People that do a lot of scuba diving will prefer the Santa Lucia region, but Varadero is great for a all around and a first time in Cuba. For wich hotel to book, thats a delicate question. Remember that a 3 star and half there is cheaper than a 3 and a half here. Cuba has not been reckognized for the best food but there is always something edible in the menu of the buffets (sometimes very repetitive). The menu tends to be better during the season.If i could suggest to you some Hotels, well the BArlovento is very well situated. 10 mins walk from the flea market at the entrance of the city on the side of a super nice beach. When i went there i was at the Playa Caleta and i really enjoyed it. Anyway, if you are further than closer to the city, you can always take the bus for 5 bucks. that will give you the bus access for an entire day. My best advise is shop around. Most hotels offer the same thing. Some are better than others but overall if you pick up a 3 and a half star minimum you should be good with younger people. If some other cities are more specialized in certain activities than others, Varadero is a great overall city.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Varadero

Awesome. Thanks a lot, I tend to take a while to find sattellite image links.

I certainly have to listen what the local travel agencies have to say/offer.

I'm still looking for a good one but I guess I'll have to just ask in a number of random ones to get a general idea.

Falher, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Varadero

I would definetly have to agree with traveller. You will find a lot more solo travellers in a 3 star hotel a opposed to a 4 or 5 ( as long as you are not a "high maintenance" person ) Being that many of these people are on a budget they are also looking forward to sharing expenses on day tours,,etc.. We stayed at the Punterena on the very west end of Veradero 2 years ago. Very nice hotel and awsome staff ( Cubans are some of the friendliest/polite people in the world ) but i would not recommend it for a solo traveller because it seems to be a little more "out of the way" than other resorts

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Varadero

Ok, I'm back to planning this trip and I think I'm travelling soon.

I'm choosing Melía Las Antillas (so far). Apparently it's one people from my country visit (thru agencies), sounds like it has a decent singles environment (does it?) and it has a gym which I really like. I see there are many other nice similar hotels but I'm not sure it'll make a difference. . .

I have some new questions:

I visited a travel agency to see if i could find out a few things and they wanted to sell me a 3-days La Habana 10-days Varadero package but I dropped out. Mostly because I saw they were just lowering costs by cramming people in some Cubana flights and because the dates they offered were further down the year than I find convenient.

I still want to see La Habana so I'm planning to do some day trips whenever I want a break from the beach. Are there any buses for this? Does anyone know if the hotel itself arranges trips for groups wanting to visit La Habana or wherever?.

My other question is concerning the flight. What's best for Varadero? I haven't found any direct flights from my city so I looked up some to La Habana. Are there any better alternatives? Do I need to book transportation between La Habana and Varadero in advance? I imagine there should be some sort of bus for incoming tourists but I don't know for sure. . .

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Varadero

I have traveled to Varadero twice by my self and I like the Palma Real. It is not right on the beach (3 min walk). I have always found there is a good mix of ages here.....Heading there again at the end of the March. Location, Location, location is a big thing in Varadero.. You can have a different journey everday. Walking around is very safe in Cuba......or it has been for me. I am sure whatever decision you make your vacation will be great.....