We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you bring gifts?....

newmarket ont...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
If you bring gifts?....

I was thinking of bringing some clothing over to donate is there away that the airline(west jet) will not charge for the weight. jst got back from the dom rep.and they wanted to charge me $20 per kg. over. i didnt pay buy the way.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you bring gifts?....

Some airlines MAY allow additional weight for charitable donations that are to be given directly to a charity or institution in Cuba (not to be distributed by you personally). This must be pre-arranged with the airline.

Have you contacted WestJet to determine what their policy is?

There is a difference between personal gifts and charitable donations.

Durham, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
1,341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you bring gifts?....

Check your baggage allowance. We're flying with WestJet and they allow 2 pieces of checked luggage per person at 50lbs each. That's far more than any other airline we've gone with before. Should be plenty of allowance in there for gifts.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you bring gifts?....

"... is there a way that the airline (west jet) will not charge for the weight..."

============================================================

Unless you jump through some hoops proving (with paperwork) that it's a charitable donation the answer is simple: No.

Cheers,

Terry

4. Re: If you bring gifts?....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 05:20