We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip?

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
How much to tip?

This may seem like a dumb question, but here goes. We're staying at Melia Las Americas. Who should we be tipping and how much?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip?

Tipping is a personal thing. If you do a search, you will find hundreds of discussions about tipping.

But if you want a guideline, you can look at this, written by Cubajack:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to tip?

My own tipping habits;

The maid 1 cuc per day

Meals, usually 1 CUC except for breakfast, where I don't need service as i hate buffet coffee.

Bartenders, usually 1 CUC every couple of drinks.

Never ever more than 8 or 9 CUC per day,

Some people tip less and some people tip more.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to tip?

I agree with platypus_rex that is more than fair considering.... The average wage from, what a bartender just told me last week is around 20 Cuc's a month... I also left the maid on top of 1 Cuc a day some small gift ( chocolate ) as she was very good to us...

My opionion is some ppl over tip and thats their buisness but not necessary..

Safe Travels.....

Durham, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
1,207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to tip?

Agree with the previous posts. Usually 1 CUC at each of lunch and dinner (try and get the same waiter/waitress for breakfast and lunch). 1CUC every few drinks. 1 CUC for each person that helps with bags. 1 CUC for the maid daily unless you leave gifts instead. Gifts are worth more to the people than money so take a few extras and give to the deserving and those that need. You may feel generous and leave a give a few extra pesos for people that have helped to make your vacation special.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to tip?

Is it bad that the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was 'DUCK!', not the bird, but to avoid the verbal mud slinging!?

Tipping is a very personal thing I've learned, do some reading here, there are many, many threads on this topic.

Cheers,

Liss

6. Re: How much to tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 07:22