We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what the...

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what the...

just wondering how everyone else feels about negative reviews from people who have only contributed once and it is THAT negative review. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but how can one person, who has never written a review, SLAM a hotel to pieces, and the next person, who has written 10+ reviews, finds the same hotel during the same time frame, a great place to stay...

just want your opinion...thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what the...

Hey bOr0

Very simple. Can most likely be summed up in 1 word in most cases "EXPECTATIONS" and very little research.

Cheers

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what the...

What can you say about someone who hated the whole experience and has nothing positive or constructive to say. Doesn't sound like someone I would want to be around.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what the...

lol, that was fast...

and you are sooooooo right...

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what the...

As with ratings ... use the curve .

Take the first 10 and last 10 % completely off then look at the actual things that apply to your likes and dislikes.

Smaller/larger resort

Swimup/piano bar

3 or 4 a la cartes

etc etc

JMHO

Mardi

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what the...

Some people only speak up when they have a beef. And those people are the ones I would NOT want to be travelling with!!

Interesting topic =)

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what the...

ahhh lets see they did not research the trip out, have very little knowledge of the country or people, expect food the same at resort as they would get at home... ( hmmm lets see there could be people from 15 different countries at the resort that all expect the same) hello!!! did not like that they had to use a little plastic glass --- but we suggest that you take a travel mug with them. But i wanted a greal glass on the beach ....... Yep they don't ask any questions on the forum, only leave one poorly written review, don't complain to the correct people. But expect their review to destroyed a resort.

yep just toss that review and move on to the next one.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what the...

I have to agree... but my biggest beef is people who post a year + after their stay at a hotel. Anywhere, but especially in countries like Cuba where construction and other resources are limited, a LOT can change about a resort in a matter of months let alone over a year. I think maybe TA should tighten up the restrictions on how long after a trip you can submit a review. Although these reviews do specify the date of the reviewers stay, I imagine it's a bit misleading to folks unfamiliar with TA and frustrating to those of us who try to be honest and informative when posting our own reviews (punctuall!y)

ontario
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what the...

I do not trust any review that is overwhelmingly negative (suspect it might be a competitor) or overwhelmingly positive (suspect it might be the resort itself). I did see a particularly nasty review the other day titled "**** resort - NEVER AGAIN". I went to that person's profile and saw that she had also submitted eight other reviews of different resorts over the last few years: four were along the lines of "best vacation ever" and the other four said "**** resort -Never again" for four different spots. I got the impression there were no average resorts in her opinion.

Despite this one example, I do agree with the previous post that said you can definitely put more faith in a review if it's a frequent contributor.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what the...

To be honest, wehn I check reviews I usualy check how often these people have posted anything on this site. If I see only one or two contribution, I ignore it. Help me a lot when I searched for a lodge in Peru earlier this year. Contacted the the guys who are here on a regular basis and got a lot of great information.

Anything else (positive and negative) I ignore

Edmonton
Level Contributor
357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what the...

I also find it depends where you call home as to what your expectations are. Spacious means two different things to someone in Canada or the UK.

But I definitely look to see regular travellers.

The ones that bug me the most are the ones that trash a resort because they didn't like the destination location they chose. I notice that a lot with Cuba reviews - they're not happy and comparing it to somewhere else in the Caribbean and then trash everything about the resort and surrounding area.

A vacation is what you make it.