We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

This may have been answered many times already, but I can't find it! Can you exchange CUC's back to CDN$ when leaving Cuba, or is it best to exchange to CUC's as you need them so that you don't end up with an excess of Cuban money? I have read about hanging on to CUC's for return trips, but at this point I don't know when or if that will happen.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

My own personal preference is to only change CDN to CUC's as required..

I return to Cuba often, but why would you want to have a pocket full of money you cant even exchange in Canada..

Remember to put aside $25 cuc's per person for the airport tax you have to pay when you leave Cuba..

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

Thank you! Leaving Saturday and looking forward to the trip. Never been to Cuba before.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

You can exchange CUC back into Canadian, but the exchange rate is horrible. Try to change as you need, so you don't get stuck with a large amount at the end of your trip.

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

Again, thank you!

5. Re: Currency exchange when leaving Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 05:19