We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what I will bring to Cuba next visit

Ontario
7 posts
Save Topic
what I will bring to Cuba next visit

We stayed at Breezes Jibacoa for one week. I searched this site before we went to decide what to bring as gifts. We had so much fun with one of the waiters that near the end of the week I felt comfortable asking him what sort of things the staff want/need. He was reluctant to ask for anything but eventually told me that even with money in Cuba some things are not available. Mostly luxuries, they all have soap LOL. He told me the jobs at the resorts are hard to get, they work long hours but they are better off because they get tips. When it came down to it anything that we give them is great, if they don't need or want it they trade with other staff or give it to their family. One thing I did notice was every waitress wore black patterned nylons, and the chambermaid asked for plastic sandels and ankle socks. It is a different story off the resorts, these people asked for soap and clothes. So next time I go I am going to bring dollar store crocs, socks, soap, mens dress socks, black nylons, clothes for children and babies and candy. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

would you wear dollar store clothing?? i wouldn't

falls apart at nothing. At least go for some kind of quality.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

npucket, I strongly suggest you give all those items to charity when you go back to Cuba. Like you say, a resort worker can reasonably think about putting 9000CUC on the side to buy a house. A Cuban not working in a resort will take 50 years to earn that amount with the average monthly salary of 15cuc/month... Buy donating to charity, you will make sure that those who need it get it.

And like Pinamimi said... Bring good quality clothing... Poor quality clothing can be found in Cuba for less expensive than here... Good qualitty clothing is really expensive in Cuba and most Cubans cannot dream of ever buying it. Resort workers however buy it all the time...

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

Hi

When I see gifting postings and the comments people make, my mind always goes to the same question.

Has this person ever been in a Cuban's home? Well away from any resort area and the person does not work in the tourism industry even the off shoot industries such as deliveries or construction etc.

Then you see how typical Cuban's live.

A friend of mine's father works two jobs ... he cuts blocks at the quarry and in the early evenings tends to animals at a fairly large farm.

That is 6am to 11pm 5 to 6 times a week.

The only thing my friend ever asked me for, for her father was some sunscreen for the back of his neck. She was scared he would get cancer.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

Some excellent thoughts about tipping::

1..) tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

And some really great observations about gifting:

2..) tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cub…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

5. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 18:23
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

npucket, it's reallu nice of you. Personnaly, I would want to have a nice dress for my cousin wedding this summer, as well as matching shoes. So on your next trip to Québec, if you could bring it to me, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much, I know I can count on you. ;-)

7. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 18:23
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

You don't find anything wrong with someone asking for a car radio?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

I won't dare say a word about over the head of some people. So how about leading a horse to water ?????

LENNY

10. Re: what I will bring to Cuba next visit

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 03:48
Edited: 19 February 2010, 03:48
Get answers to your questions about Varadero