We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Anyone else gonna be there March 24 to 31st? We just booked a deal we could not turn down. The reviews seem ok, and we are not fussy travelers. Is the food passable, are the drinks cold? OOOHH so many questions<:

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

We were there January 13 - 20th for the first time - we loved it! There is no night club in the resort - only a small lounge upstairs - but it was packed every evening we were there and there was no shortage of fun to be had! We thought the food was more than just passable. The wine.... leaves something to be desired.... but no complaints about anything else to do with the Playa Caleta!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Oops... I forgot to say: Go Riders Go - WOOT!!!!!

NIAGARA FALLS
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Playa Caleta is a great resort. We have been there twice most recently last December. Food is good providing you are not a fussy eater, but typical of an all inclusive. Breakfast is always our favourite with fresh omlettes. There is a free shuttle four times a day that will take you to the downtown and the double decker bus (5 CUC to ride the entire peninsula all day with lots of stops) has a stop very close to the reort. The staff are great and very friendly. You will love it.

Halifax
Level Contributor
418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

I've been to Playa Caleta three times this year I've went and always have a great time, and they keep improving the hotel.. with new furniture, loungers a new gazebo..

There's Mini Golf if thats your thing..

The Food is like most said.. passable.. can be better if you bring a few spices! You will not go hungry that's for sure!

Most of the staff are very friendly! Have a great time!

If you want to go snorkelling, try going with Marlin Y Nautica.. it's 20 bucks they'll take u out and you'll see lots of fish! they are the guys that look after the non-motorized sports.. they're like my cuban family! god love them!

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

I've been to Caleta several times ,with a return visit coming up in April.

Niagara said it best about the food and staff.The rooms are clean ,nice grounds /pool/beach ,lots of palapas .The ocean view rooms are AWESOME .Staff at the lobby bar are the best and will treat you with respect if you do the same .Caleta is at the start of the Hotel strip,take the double decker bus (5CUC's)for an all day pass ,it will take you from one end of the strip to the other and you get off and on whenever you want .

Enjoy

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Thanks for all the help...does Playa Caleta have a money exchange on-site? If not, where would the closest one be located?

Thanks again everyone<:

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Yes ..you can change money at the front desk ,you won't get as much as you would at a bank or the airport (1-2 %less)no big deal .Make sure your Canadian bills are in good shape ,no rips ,creases ,marks etc.they are vey picky about this .

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

I stayed at Playa Caleta last April and will be going back again on April 3rd this year. I loved it, as did most other people I know who have been there. We met many people at the hotel on our last trip who have been there three times or more and just keep going back. That's why I decided against taking a risk and booking somewhere else. Plus for the price I don't think this hotel can be beat!

NIAGARA FALLS
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

There is a bank right beside Kawama Resort and just a short distance further a cadeca at 8th St at Villa Tortuga just before the bridge over the canal. The cadeca is open 24 hours a day. You could walk to either of these but it would be at least a 20 minute walk. If you get thirsty or hungry after the walk there is a great restaurant Kikis also right at 8th St. There is a double decker bus stop right in front of Kikis as well so that you could do your exchange any day that you ride the double decker or the free shuttle bus will drop you off at either place if you ask.

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Cuba...Palya Caleta

Hey YYZ: we will be there April 2nd for our 5th? time .See you on the beach