We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barlovento Info?

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Barlovento Info?

Hello,

My husband and I are heading to Cuba for the first time on April 11th for 2 weeks. We'll be staying at the Barlovento and I was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about the location, hotel ect.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barlovento Info?

Location is at the start of the peninsula, around 5th avenue if I remember correctly. We were there in 2006 and found it to be a great value for money. You may want to do a search for more recent reviews.

Tom

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barlovento Info?

I'm headed there tomorrow for a week. Is there anything special you would me to check out for you while we're there? There are a couple of fair and honest reviews under the Varadero Hotels section....and as suggested, do a search - alot of my questions were answered on here and I'd like the chance to return the favour. Just let me khow tonight so I can have an answer for you when we return next week

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barlovento Info?

Do you happen to know it we'll need a convertor for things like hairdryers or straiteners? I'lll probably pack one just incase. Really anything you might find handy would be great.

Have a wonderful time....we're counting down the days.

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barlovento Info?

I've read conflicting reports, but until I check it for sure, I'd say no - you do not need a converter....I believe it the UK folks who might need it, not us Canucks

Edited: 19 March 2010, 21:57
Pierson, Manitoba
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Barlovento Info?

Have stayed there twice, do not need a converter. No problem at all. Wonderfull beach, 3 blocks from big market, A few blocks there other way to Casa de Al (Al Capone's). Bus stop for the hop on, hop off bus just on the corner by the church. Great staff, give them a smile, say hola and get to know a few of them. Did have some issues with a gas smell last time, not the Barloventos fault. There is a refinery that gases off during the night, if the wind is the right direction it can be bad. Experienced it a couple nights in January, went down in March last year and never had it happen. Make sure you book your a la cartes as soon as you are able, Mexican is good, never went to the Creole and I hear they have an Italian one now, but have only seen people mention it on here can't confirm. Advise is to take your own beach towel, just easier all the way around. You need to pay a deposit for theirs and if it gets misplaced you could be stuck without the deposit. If you want you could take one and leave it with one of the staff, if you do not need it to bring home. Take a Bubba Keg or some other insulated mug to keep you cold ones cold. I liked the Bubba down at the beach because it had a flat bottom and didn't tip easy. Once again you can leave it for someone instead of bringing it home. As far as the Bubba threads go. We used ours by the beach or sitting by the pool, Lobby bar almost always used glasses. The other thing is the beach bar does not serve beer, so if you like beer and you are down by the beach the insulated mug is almost a must, as well you don't have to get rid of a bunch of small plastic glasses. Enjoy your holiday, hope you have wonderful weather and bring home some great memories

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barlovento Info?

I leave tomorrow and just in case the wind is blowing the wrong way, I've packed an AirWick NightLight oil deodorizer....if it doesn't fit in the electrical outlets (which I don't think will be a problem), I've also packed a scented candle tin and matches

Pierson, Manitoba
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Barlovento Info?

good one, hope the wind is blowing the right way, the temperatures warm and you have a wonderful holiday. Enjoy and bring home memories

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barlovento Info?

Just returned from barlovento on Thursday!!!. The location is great. Walk to the flea market in 2-3 blocks and hang out at the BAr on the next block. We found that there were an abundance of French Canadians during our stay--about 85 % --it was difficult to find english speakers. We enjoyed the stay. We had no problems with water, air conditioing or our room. No need for converters. My haridryer in te hroom did not work well but they are there and if I had persisted I might have got a different one. Do take tissues becuase sometimes they do run out and it is really good to have some on hand if you go on an excursion.

Food was okay-we stayed 2 weeks and it seemed to get better the second week maybe becuase it was busier. Lunch is at the Snack bar on teh way to the beach not the buffet.

Must dos in Varadero--take the Double Decker bus up and down the strip. Hop off at Calle 59 and enjoy the atmosphere near the park (by Cuarto Palmas). Mus go to the flea market, check out the Golf Course and Xanadu, see Al Capones.

Internet at the Bar is touch and go. 5 pesos for 1/2 hour but you have to but internet cards at reception. They only had them available one day during our 2 week stay. So if they have them buy more than one. If not out the front door to the right about 2-3 blocks is a telecommunications center. One computer and 5 pesos per 1/2 hour.

We will be writing our review later but too late for some..

Enjoy the trip

Jacksue

9. Re: Barlovento Info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 06:15