We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Ottawa, Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Hello, I am leaving for Varadero the first week of Feb 2005. I would like to take a day trip to Havana... I heard there is a bus. Does anyone know the name of the bus line or where I could find a schdule/price? Thanks!

Seattle, WA
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Your hotel should have information on day trips. We rode the tour bus there and got off to do our own touring. $40 convertable pesos. Not sure how much the whole tour was. The tour will seem like you are rushed through it. We should have taken a taxi and did our own thing with out being in a rush to catch the bus back by 3:30PM.

Level Contributor
499 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

hi, take the tour bus, it's easier and you will stop to matanzas to take pictures and after you go to visit a fort. Also you have an animator in the bus. After you have a lunch there and you follow the guide, you visit a museam, and after you can have a little bit of time alone.. but not enough for me! that's the problem when you are a group!! get the info. at your hotel.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

We just did a day tour with cubacan tours on a bus with a tour guide. $67 pesos (equivalent to USD) per person. Probably the same type of tour as the 40 peso trip, prices have really jumped in the last 1-2 years. Sort of a city tour by bus. The guide was quite informative, we stopped for approx. 20 minutes at the cemetary, and for pics at where Castro addresses the nation. We had a lunch in old Havana, quick walking tour (15 min or so) and then 2 hours free time from there....all near flea market, old havana square, 'Mojito' bar where Hemmingway went, etc. I beleive this tour normally includes a tour of the Cigar factory however they were closed for vacation time while we were there. If you are the bus tour type, it is fine. Another option is to try and hook up with a local and they can give a tour that way there is more flexibilty and personalized for your interests, what you want to see. I was told approx. 100-200 for a day is the average (not bad if there are say 2 couples) or you can also hire a taxi for the day I believe that is around 150-200. We met a couple who was going the taxi route but when he showed up in the morning to pick them up he didnt speak any english! (they didn't go!) Anyway if you are in a resort you can book through their tour desk. We left the hotel around 8am and were home at 630pm.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Hi! I have just read that there is a visit to Matanzas and a museum visit. I went two years ago and the tour did not include this. However, it did include a visit of the cemetary, the place where Castro addresses the nation and old Havana. Could there be two different tours? If there is, please give me the information! I won't do the same one twice in 2 years!!!

Thanks!

Port Coquitlam B.C...
Level Contributor
58 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Two of us wanted to go to Havana, so we ask around our resort if anyone was interested in renting a Van. Before we knew it, we had our 8 people minimum/maximum with several more wishing to come. Our cost was $25 per person. It included a driver and a tour guide who was unbelievable with his knowledge and the amount of languages he spoke! We presented him with a list of places we wanted to go to, and were accomodated with both our choices as well as what our tour guide took us to. Way nicer having a small group rather than a bus load. Another bonus was we didin't have to stop at numerous hotels to pick up and drop off people. The couple of hours that would have taken, we had as extra time to see more things at a more leisurely pace.All this was arranged thru our hotel. We spoke to other people who ended up taking the bus tour, and we were so glad that we opted for the private tour.

KAL
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Hola Gingertwist. My husband & I are travelling to Cuba Jan 21 to Feb 4. We are very interested in the trip to Havana. So many travellers have indicated it is much better to try doing something independant of the usual bus trip so that we aren't so rushed. You mentioned that you were able to arrange for a van with a group of others from your resort and that it was done through your hotel. Which hotel did you stay at? Was it the hotel staff that made the arrangements or was it the Travel Company rep who helped you out (Sunquest, Signature or Air Transat)? Did you stay into the evening to see the Tropicana show? Can you list a few must see spots in Havana? We would appreciate all tips & comments. Thanks a bunch. KAL

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

I'm planning on spending 2 nights in Havana during my trip. Is there a non "tour" bus that we can take easily and safely from Varadero? There's only two of us so we certainly don't want to take a taxi.

oshawa ont
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

last we were in Varadero we took the Bus tour it was excellent just about 10 all English speaking. we left very early in the morning ,took us everywhere the Cathedral,. Old Havana, modern Havana the Necopolis this was fantastic)? we had a lovely leisurely lunch and free time then to a hotel for dinner where we could shower and change and go to see the Tropicana Show (SUPERB) WE GOT BACK REALLY LATE but a marvellous trip one of the best we have taken anywhere and worth every penny or should I say peso ENJOY

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Still looking for an answer - anyone?

Port Coquitlam B.C...
Level Contributor
58 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Varadero to Havana?

Travelgrrrl.

Your travel rep at the hotel or front desk can help you with this. All tours can be arranged thru them.

Hola Kal,

We stayed at the Villa Cuba. Our hotel had a separate desk from the Airline Travel Reps for tours, which is where we booked the Van to Havana. We found our Air Transat tour rep to be completely useless, so we booked all our tours thru the other tour company.

We just mentioned to other people that we met at our resort that we wanted to rent the van, and so many people wanted to come with us, so you won't have any proplem finding other to join you. We got to tell the driver what time in the morning to come get us, so we were on our schedule. (It is still better to start early as you will loose day light later and not see as much) Would definetley recommend this to any age group.

Have fun!