We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money

Hi there,

My Girfriend and I will be staying at Blau Varadero for two weeks in June and was just wondering how much spending money we should take each?

We were hoping to do a self tour of Havana for a day or two (getting the bus there and back), a catamaran tour and maybe another excursion.

Were also thinking about having a few nights out etc.

Would be great for any rough answers.

Cheers

Ian

Victoria,BC,CANADA
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

Iam not sure about your spending habbits but when I go I try to take around $1000 cash to spend ,I only change it to CuC when I need it (other than tip money ) I find it better to take more than not enuf .

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,922 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money

As the OP is from the UK he'll be taking Sterling. I would have thought that a maximum of £1000 would cover all you want to do, probably considerably less.

Victoria,BC,CANADA
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money

lol, Sorry Iam talking $1000 CDN ,yes that might be more than unuff in sterling

;)

Edited: 23 May 2010, 16:03
manchester
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money

Hi Ifordy,

My daughter and I are just back, we have found that cuba has gone very dear I would take at least £700 each we took over £800 between us and that is not enough and we did not do any trips this year.

from our hotel in a taxi to varadero was between 12and 14 cuc each way thats gone up by 9cuc.

I took 5 friends out last year and it only cost me 42cuc for dinner and drinks this year it was the same but only for 3.we spent most of our cash on taxi to matanza and cardanez both place worth going to for the day.

I was going to hire a car to go to Havana but it worked out a little cheeper going with the travel agents than hiring a car and some one from the hotel

have a lovely time Ann

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money

My wife and I just returned, we were there only 1 week, we brought 1600 cdn. We done 2 excursions, bought souvenirs,paintings and with tips we manage to spend all but 300 of it. We went to varadero twice, and had lunch there. I think 1,500 each plus a credit card back up plan would work good. Don't exchange to CUC till you need it, the exchange rate at the resort desk isn't that far off, I just got some every couple days as I needed it.

Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. I hear the Blau is a great resort.

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money

i just got back from 2 weeks in the blau, went on the day trip to havana and the catamaran and it cost £200 for me and my boyfriend. Think the overnight trip would be about £280 for 2 of you (The blau often offer this for free when they are overbooked).

Overall we took £1000 and came back with money left over

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
56 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money

Hi Ifordy,

From what you are intending, you sound as if you will be doing similar things outside the resort to what we did a couple of months ago as outlined here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147275-i99-k354… which included an independent trip to Havana for three nights along with organised excursions.

As Frankie above has indicated, if you stick to organised trips they are very cost effective and very good value as a number of them include meals, entrance fees etc and you can keep costs relatively low. It’s when you start doing things independently that the costs start rising. As ManchesterAnn has suggested, taxi fares are roughly the same as they are in the UK and whilst convenient, are not a cheap option. There is the option of renting cars/mopeds, but roads can be poor, signage is limited and I wouldn’t risk it once it starts to get dark as discussed elsewhere on the forum. Public transport is very limited, so it’s not like a lot of other countries where you simply pitch up at the bus stop and you can be on your way anywhere within half an hour.

So, getting back to your original query, our approach was that we didn’t wish to have our activities curtailed by lack of funds, so we put the organised excursions on credit card (non US backed of course) which was about £400 for the two of us and went through about £1,200 in cash for the two of us. £90 of this went on the taxi we took from Varadero to Havana, but of course it can be done a lot cheaper using other means of transport.

As other replies have shown, our resident expert Bellagio suggests £1k max, whilst ManAnn suggests a minimum of £1.4K for two. It all depends on what you will be doing how you like to do it. As before, we took the view that we were happy to spend whatever it took (within reason) to do whatever we wanted in the easiest possible way and our £1.2k covered everything from taxis, evenings out in restaurants, bars in Havana to buying blue label Havana Club on departure at the airport.

When it comes to money, two things apply, ensure your credit card has no American ties and tell your bank you are travelling to Cuba to ensure that it doesn’t get blocked and the cash that you take has to be clean and unmarked – no rips or markings on them.

Oh yeah, don’t forget to keep some back for your 25CUC departure tax per person.

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Since sending this email I have research Havana a bit more and the prices of the hotels around the area etc as well as travel.

With help from all you guys as well as the research I've done, I think we are going to take £1000 between the both of us.

Taking into account we are still both students as well, I think this is all we can afford!!

Thanks a lot everyone, great help!! No doubt I will be on this again asking for more advice!

Ian

9. Re: Spending Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:16