We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison please.....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison please.....

I've narrowed it down to Sandals, Iberostar Varadero and PPDM. My husband and I are in our late 30s and will be travelling without our kids. What's most important to us is a nice pool/beach, good food, good quality beer/liquor and a bit of nightlife. We don't need to party until 3am but we don't want to be in bed at 10pm either. I don't need a fancy room but clean is a must. I've read the reviews but I ended up more confused. Has anyone been to more than one of these resorts and can provide a bit of comparison? Thanks!

Leeds
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison please.....

Hi

I have noticed your post.

I have just come back from Veradero and stayed in the Palma Real. Would not recommend nor any near by.

Blau Veradero would highly recommend though as is amazing and has been given raving reports.

K x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison please.....

Hi

We have just returned from the Iberostar Tainos and it was fantastic, good rooms not incredible but very clean, wonderful staff, good food, good entertainment, wonderful pool and beach area and top quality drinks and bar areas check out my review and others nearly all are positive and i cant understand the negative ones this place is great a real hidden gem.

Regards

DilbertPhilbert

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison please.....

we have been to both Princessa and Sandals, and prefer Sandals since it is not only adults only, it is couples only, and fits your criteria in every way.

Iberostar is not adults only.

Brantford...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison please.....

How about Sandals Hicacos,its couples only has a great wide beach,lovely restaurants and bars with wonderful staff.The Iberostar is right beside Sandals and their beach is very narrow and does not compare to Sandals.The Iberostar also caters to families with young kids so it may not have the atmosphere you are looking for.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparison please.....

The PPDM is my hands down favourite resort in Cuba (no surprise to TA regulars that I'd say that!), but in all honesty if you're looking for a bit of action, the Iberostar Varadero is probably your best bet. My hubby and I like to stay up a bit late too but we usually bring at least one other couple with us on our trips and the 4 of us hang out at the Raquet Club bar until the wee hours of the morning. If you do chose the PPDM, if you're not shy I'm sure you'll make friends with similar minded couples and you can have a fantastic time. If you're looking to get out or off the resort though, it would be your best choice as its 25CUC's each way into town. As far as food and rooms go, it's hands down THE BEST. I've sent over a dozen couples to this hotel and stayed myself 4 times (5 in August, 6 in November!) and have never had a bad meal or not put a pound or two on during my stay. The beach at the Iberostar is probably the best of the hotels you've listed as well; from my 9 years of travel to Varadero, the closer you are to the "center" of town, the nicer the beach.

Brantford...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparison please.....

The beach at the Iberostar is NOT the best as it is very narrow.At high tide it almost disappears.I know that since we have been to Sandals 6 times and Iberostar is right beside Sandals and when we went for walks we were amazed at how small it is.IMHO you cannot beat Sandals,the beach and beach grill being one of its many features.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparison please.....

I have to strongly agree with DilbertPhilbert.The IB Tainos is a superb hotel which has only 272 rooms and therefor caters to your personal need far better.The staff are superb,the food is of a high standard and for me the beach,well the beach at the Tainos is by far the best on the peninsula,it cannot be beaten.The IB Varadero is posher but to me,we had 3 weeks in the Tainos CHEAPER than 2 in the IB VARADERO,which by the way has NO beach at high tide,the sea laps underneath the sunloungers.lol.

Ian.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparison please.....

I have been to IBV a few times. You wold enjoy the food...staff, accomodations etc. Entertainment may be another thing. The animation staff are great and always something going on during the day but that would probably be the same as other resorts. Evening shows: some are of the campy variety and not really my thing and some would be considered superb by AI varadero resort standards. After the evening entertainment many of the 30+ socialize by the lobby bar but the "disco" is taken over by 20 somethings and some of the staff... as well as the odd 40 and 50+ having a last drink or 2 before retiring. I have been to the disco when its deadly quiet or quite hopping but normally only when a large wedding party is at the hotel. In a nutshell, the IBV is a good choice but evenings are quite tame.

9. Re: Comparison please.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 07:23