We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Varadero in about a week, but as it happens, I'm also competing in an internship process and may have to be interviewed by potential employers over the phone while I'm there (I know, terrible timing, but part of my signed agreement with my Grad program is to compete for all possible internships they throw my way).

I understand that use of the local land line is iffy. How much better -- if at all -- would my cell phone be? I've already purchased an international calling plan for Cuba, it was expensive (90$/70 minutes for the biggest package), but I need to be prepared for longer interviews if need be; those would be charged at 1.29$/minute if I go over.

So basically, as Rogers as my provider, would I have very good reception or am I better off getting called at my hotel room instead? Thanks

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

The reception was pretty good when I was there.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

$90 for 70 mins is way cheaper than I thought it would be! I'm going to look into this as I was considering leaving my BB at home. Did you find the info online or did you contact Rogers?

Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

I contacted Rogers just last night. They have smaller packages if you need them, but I couldn't take any chances

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

the calling card seems to be the way to go, I used the hotel phone last years as my husbands cell died. The hotel charged $2 CUC a minute

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

Thanks appricot, I will contact them. I also want to get the full picture as far as data plan.. texting/sms/ any roaming fees...blackberry messenger etc.. Maybe once I get the info I will post it.

Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

how clean was the phone line? I'm afraid of dropped calls and spotty signals. I would hate to fail an interview on account of technical difficulties

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

I didn't have any problem with the phones, as long as it wasn't raining

Burlington
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

I'm with Rogers and could not use my cell phone in Veradero to call Canada at all. Oddly enough I could send and receive texts as much as I wanted, but no outgoing or incoming calls would work at all. I also had an international plan. When I returned to inquire, I was told that Cuba was not included in that plan and was refunded my money. Good luck!

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

This has worked well for me when travelling - unlocked GSM phone - works through Rogers.

http://www.roamsimple.com/

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Varadero, How is Rogers cell phone reception?

I would definitely NOT risk an interview on the hotel phones or a calling card. For one, more often than not the person answering the phone at reception is not 110% fluent in English or may unitentionally disconnect the call or connect to the wrong room, the calling cards sometimes don't last the full time advertised and you get a loud announcement in Spanish advising your going to be disconnected shortly, and during peak call times it takes a while just to get an outgoing line even from your room. The last time I travelled sans-cell phone I had tried calling my mom to let her know we arrived safely and it took me over 15 mins of redialing to get an international call out from my room at the PPDM. As long as Rogers knows you're travelling you'll have perfect reception in Varadero; you'll see CubaCell (sp?) in your display window when you turn it on confirming that you're on their local network and texting and calling is the same as at home. Good luck!