We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been to cuba

Carberry, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
never been to cuba

Hello i was just wondering if any one can help us out,my buddy just called me and said he booked to get married at the iberostar veradero for march, they are all flying out of Edmonton Canada and i would be flying out of Winnipeg Canada. I see the prices are a bit up there but do you know if this hotel will have better prices or does the reputation of the resort keep it from not dropping in price. I dont want to be a cheap stickler on a beautiful place but just seeing if there is a possibility to wait and save a few bucks.Please if you have any info that can help us out it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: never been to cuba

The nicer resorts sometimes do have sales, but often not, and by waiting you run the risk of not getting a spot. I always stay at the Princesa del Mar, and the price I've paid hasn't changed by more than $200 either way over the last couples years (cheapest I've paid is $1300, $1500 the most) regardless of what time of year I go, or how early/late I book. If its for a wedding, I wouldn't risk it. The Iberostar is a really popular hotel, and March is March break so a busy time for travellers. If you want to space your payments out at least, most tour operators (Sunwing, Transat, etc) will let you put a small deposit down now, around $200 per traveller, and you pay the rest 40 days before depature at no additional cost to you (they don't charge an admin fee or interest, etc).

Carberry, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: never been to cuba

Thanks Banker barbie , I appreciate the info. I was also told kinda the same by a co worker that some of the resorts will not get discounted because of the european agency gobbling up some of the resorts in cuba.Its $ 1785 plus 200 tax for this resort ,flying out of wpg, and no i do not want to miss a room for this trip if i wait. Thanks

winnipeg
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: never been to cuba

I would wait if i were you.At least till December when all the sales are starting to happen.I think its "I travel 2000"that always has price drop protection up to 72 hours of your departure date.But then i'm a bit of a gambler.I got the Blau Varadero at 619.00 last march.Flip side is,its a wedding,hmmm

Carberry, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: never been to cuba

Im sure if i wait there will be some thing, but ya prob would not wait till absolutely last minute,there is flights on march 6 direct and march 7th vis thunder bay as of right now so im not totally cocerned i will not get room but there is limited flights for the week from the 6 th till the 13 , wedding is the 8th. Thanks for the info frostywinnipeg

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: never been to cuba

I have also been checking prices for this resort, as a friend is getting married april 2011. People and agents have told me this is a good price for this hotel for us western Candian travelers. Mine is $1800 plus $200 tax. It is a popular hotel and I wouldn't want to risk missing out ont he wedding.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: never been to cuba

That is often a challenge with flights from smaller centres such as Winnipeg & Halifax. The flights may sell out although there may be still availability at the resort departing from another destination. I believe that March Break for school students in Manitoba falls later in March next year, so you might be safe in waiting a while yet.

You could ask your travel agent to keep a watch on the flight, and if it seems to be filling up, book that package for you. At the minimum, I would have your agent book through an operator which gave you some type of “reward” … be that no interest payments, “price-change-guarantee” or something similar.

I would suggest trying to get the direct non-stop flight on the 6th … why risk a possible snowstorm with a stop-over in Thunder Bay?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: never been to cuba

The March break for Ontario students starts March 11th, and from my experience a lot of travellers start their trip the weekend before or during the week, so I'd really not risk it this time. If it were a quieter time of year for sure wait and see, nothing to lose, but March break gets very busy, and the Iberostar is a popular hotel for families and groups. The one poster is correct that itravel and Sell Off Vacations offer some packages with a price guarantee, where if it drops before your departure date you're refunded the difference either in cash or travel vouchers but again, it's usually only certain hotels/tour operators, and often doesn't include the super "nice" ones (ie Princesa del Mar, Iberostar, Paradisus Varadero) as they have a steady stream of tourists regardless of the price, and lots of repeat guests. You're staying at a wonderful hotel, you won't regret spending the extra money!

Markham
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: never been to cuba

Hey there!

I am getting married at the IBV in one week and a few of my fiances' groomsmen waited till the last minute to book because they were hoping the price would drop, I mean what are the chances of a Cuban resort selling out in JULY??? Well, guess what--it sold out. Now a few of our guests have to stay at a resort down the strip and will have to pay $75/person for day passes to get on our resort. There are nearly 50 of us going for the wedding and I really think they might miss out on some things now that they have to stay at another resort.

I don't know about prices from Winnipeg but that does seem a bit high to me. We got our group rate from Toronto for $1250 including tax but that's also in July--March is typically more. From what I have heard about the resort, it sounds amazing so I wouldn't want to miss out if I were you. Having said that, I think you are safe to wait at least until September/November to book if you are hoping for the prices to go down.

I hope this helps!

Stephie

Carberry, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: never been to cuba

Thanks for all the feedback today guys and gals , ya i really dont want to be that guy that misses out on some group stuff to save a couple hundred bucks for my wife and i to stay at diff resort. I appreciate all the info and if any of the people who frequent the site on a regular basis have any other opinions or options please pass info over .. Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: never been to cuba

do your home work. Remember Toronto and Montreal get way better deals than us more west.