We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping for rum/cigars and???

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
shopping for rum/cigars and???

i readt that the prices at the airport are comparible/cheaper than some of the town stores.

Is this true in Varadero?

Any particular shops in town that are remarkable???????

(how much do u negotiate/barter at stores???)

Thanks all...... i leave in 1 1/2 days!!! woo hooooooo

Elkford, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping for rum/cigars and???

Cigar prices flucuate some. We bought in Havana on the tour at the shop they stop at. We bought the new crystal ones at the airport, before you go through on your return. White rum is pretty much $3.85 everywhere - even in your hotel gift shop. Liquers are cheap $2.90 to $3.10 - banana, pineapple, etc. Rum at the airport is $3.85 but once you go through to return home, it is $4.60 on the other side - too late we learn. And at the airport, make sure you have toilet paper as they will try and sell you a few squares, just walk past - don't pay.

Bartering at the market - never pay the price, prices also vary from vendor to vendor - it pays to shop around first if you have the time, then go through again. They remember you.

Hope this helps, have a great trip

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping for rum/cigars and???

I bought my cigars in Havana at a reputable shop. Make sure you keep the apperwork, you will need your pasport. I paid $289 pesos for a box of Cohbia Robusto's, they are top of the line. The clerk looked at me twice when I asked for a box. That works out to 355 cdn.

West Vancouver, BC...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping for rum/cigars and???

Bartering is a matter of conscience in Cuba

Personally, I would only barter with the vendors who sell around airport areas, etc. or if the price seemed unreasonable.

Vendors who sell with permission of the hotels, on the hotel grounds, tend to sell higher quality 'stuff'. I would suggest asking yourself what you might have to pay for the object if you could get it, at home. (I'm not talking about trinkets, but things like the carvings and masks, handmade lace, etc.) As far as rum goes, just shop around, it is all over the place.

I had an interesting experience a couple of years ago. I was talking to a vendor and we had agreed on a price for a very well-carved mask when another tourist grabbed the mask out of my hand and rudely told the vendor he would pay double the amount I had agreed on. The vendor politely refused to break our 'deal' after retrieving the mask. He was representative of the vast majority of Cubans who are honest and honorable.