We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomaching The Food In Cuba

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
854 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Stomaching The Food In Cuba

My wife and I are considering going to Cuba in the fall. I've been once before, however she has some concern over what people say about the food. She enjoys a wide variety of food, yet she is particular about how food is prepared.

As I said, I have been before and I found that while the food was not overly delicious, it was of good quality. There wasn't the mountains of food or the variety that one might expect in other Caribbean countries, however I certainly got enough to eat. I guess the word I would choose would be "unremarkable". Somewhere between airplane and hospital food.

I'd welcome any one's comments to help my wife decide if she can stomach Cuba. Also if you know of any Varadero resorts where the food was outstanding, please let us know.

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

BarrieGuy, I think some of my mates must be relatives of yours. They all know how to overcook when they BBQ.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

Agree, Sandals food was quite good. About the best buffet I've experienced in Cuba so far... but I don't believe for a minute anywhere in Cuba can rival top world dining destinations. I've yet to find a superior glass of wine there, and when I find one that's average to above average I'm "wow'd" for sure. Meat cuts, sauces, presentation, service, ect. are all what you'd expect relative to what's available and what you pay (most of the time), so if you go on the cheap...

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"...es Cuba.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 13:57
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

"Just to clarify, when I said she is particular about food, I mean to say she has some issues with meat. It has to be absolutely cooked."

Oh, that's easy, then. If it doesn't look cooked enough, ask the chef to put it back on the grill. Problem solved! (at a restaurant I visited in Arizona if you asked for your steak "well done" they brought you an old boot on a plate!)

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

The steaks at Sandals in April were from Alberta, and were cooked to your liking in front of you in the buffet, or cooked the way you wanted them in the al a cartes.

If you want your steak well done it really doesn't matter where it's from.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

"If you want your steak well done it really doesn't matter where it's from."

Truer words were never spoken...

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
854 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

Yeah my wife likes meat but fears what it may do to her if it isn't properly prepared. Her concerns range from how fresh something is, how it was stored (refridgeration), and how long it was cooked, etc.

I do understand where her concerns come from. When you check in and see mold growing in the bathroom of your hotel room, you have to wonder what is happening elsewhere in the resort.

Leigh, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

Hey,

I've not been to the Cuba yet, as I go in September. I've been to dom rep, jamaica and cancun and i've at 2 riu's and 1 iberostar and with all being 4/5* hotel all of the food has been great. always a big selection... so cuba can't be as bad as people say can it? I'm going to the IBV in september and no one has mentioned the food in IBV... so if anyone has been please could you write and let me know.. i'm not worrying about it because i think it'l be good but i was just curious.

Mickey x

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
854 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

What I'm getting the sense of is that there are locations where food is an issue (like anywhere), however even at the best locations, it may not be the best food you have ever had. If you are a foodie then it's probably not the place to be. If you are just as happy eating a hamburger as you would be eating a steak then you will probably be fine.

Again my experience was that the food was very unremarkable. I was only staying at a 3 star but my expectations were not very high so I actually didn't mind the food that much - a little bland and not much variety, but certainly edible.

Traditionally if food is a major component for you while on vacation, this may be an issue. If you simply eat something when you get hungry, I'm sure it will be fine.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

The OP may be best in seriously considering a place other than Cuba if food is going to be such an issue for his wife. Despite having been given a fairly wide array of responses about resorts that would probably serve food that may suit her, there are also concerns about the hygiene & sanitation that may be found (“When you check in and see mold growing in the bathroom of your hotel room, you have to wonder what is happening elsewhere in the resort.”)

Mold happens … it’s common in a tropical destination. Despite the (sometimes) best attempts of staff to keep it at bay, visible mold can grow in mere hours. So, a room that may not have been used for two days since it was cleaned after the last guest left could indeed have mold. It is doubtful (to me anyway) that EVERY surface in the room has been scrubbed and sanitized. Newer resorts may be easier to clean than older resorts.

So, unless the OP wants to consider a brand new resort with a good reputation for food, there is a possibility that the meals & the sanitation may not meet his wife’s standards. Cuba isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Stomaching The Food In Cuba

Hola barrieguy69,

If you're determined to get to Cuba with your wife and you want to absolutely minimize her concerns about the food and/or hygiene & sanitation, you'd be better off choosing a 5star resort. The standards are certainly higher in all things and she can better relax and just enjoy.

There are only 3 true 5star resorts in all of Cuba - the Paridisus Princess Del Mar in Varadero, the Occidental Royal Hideaway Ensenachos in Cayo Santa Maria, and the Paradisus Río de Oro in Guardalavaca. Choosing any one of these 3 will definitely make you a hero. No worries and your wife will love you for it.

Terry