We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

We usually use RBC but almost $300 for the both of us seems a little ridiculous. We want comprehensive coverage that includes trip cancellation. We also want to ensure that it is one of the trip cancellation plans that just requires a Dr's note not actual admittance to a hospital.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

That's about par with CIBC's rates for the whole package. Check to see if you're covered for travel medical on one of your credit cards & if you are perhaps you can exclude travel medical (although that's the cheapest coverage!)

NA
Level Contributor
549 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

Look at the offering from Sunwing, if that carrier works for you.

They have a pretty good med/cancel package that's currently discounted to $80pp.

Irie

Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

I wish I could do that Irie but Signature/Sunwing does not offer the resort I'm going to :-(

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

Have you tried Blue Cross or CAA? Or, sometimes you get out-of-country medical & travel insurance through your home insurance provider.

oshawa
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

I always buy the blue cross plan for the year. It Has everything in it and the family plan costs just over $300 for the year. But that goes by the ages of every one in your family. It about the same as what the travel agents charge for one trip. Good if you travel more then once a year.

Edited: 31 August 2010, 00:42
Halifax
Level Contributor
418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

personally i have always used flight centres.. it's always been the cheapest anytime I've gone down.. no more than 21 canadian dollars for the week!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

Those cheap prices ($25-ish) are for medical only, the OP wants cancellation/interruption & medical.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

we use the whole year thru carp cause we're golden oldies. lol. it depends how often and how much you want to travel and how much the travel package is. check it out. carol e. p.s. you don't have to be old! rofl

Ottawa
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

BaddowGirl: You may be able to do better by about $50/ea - try ManuLife - but a comprehensive insurance package including flight interruption, trip cancellation and baggage insurance, etc. will run you at least $110/person.

Don't know about the "doctor's note" or what sorts of things qualify for medical emergency but you'd best speak to an underwriter directly about that stipulation.

10. Re: Best Canadian Travel Insurance & Rates?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:19