We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medication

manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
medication

Hi We are going to Blau Varadero in Dec My husband as lots of prescription medicines including Insulin he needs to take Can anyone tell me if there would be aproblem taking these through if not in original packaging . He usually puts them into a 2 weekly dosette to save on space due to all the boxes that they come in . Many Thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medication

If i was your husband i would keep them in there original packaging as that way you will not have a problem .

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medication

I always keep my medication in the original packages and also on my carry -on so if by chance my luggage is delayed or lost i at least have that...

And have never had a problem at Cuban customs or for that fact anywhere...

Safe travels...

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,485 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medication

Agree with the others. Better to be safe than sorry and keep all medications in their original containers.

Edited: 06 September 2010, 00:35
Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medication

same advice here although I carry vitamins in plastic bags and have had no problem with them or aspirin or blood meter, blood strips, needles. I do carry a read out of my meds and dosages from pharmacy just incase for doctors on resort site. never been questioned at customs.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medication

I also must add, if you dont already have one, dont forget the small sharps box. You will need it as no where safe to dispose of the spent sharps.

keep all meds in original containers.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medication

I take all my meds and vitamins (about 12 pills in the morning and 8 in the evening) presorted into daily doses in small plastic bags in my carry-on; never been stopped or questioned.

I have a friend with a weekly dose of something that gets injected; although she has never been stopped she does take it in the original wapping. At the resort she will take the needle over to the doctor's office and ask them to dispose of it.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medication

I would recommend taking medications in their original containers. I do understand that this can take up alot of space for some, as does a "sharps" container. I also suggest that you make sure to carry your medications in your carry-on, as some have already mentioned.

If your sharps container takes up too much room or you forget to take it, you can always "make do" with a glass container or bottle when you get to the resort and hand off the used needles to the resort medical staff when you leave, for proper disposal.

Hoping you have arranged for a fridge in your room if the resort dosent advertise that? For insulin storage?

S

leeds
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medication

an added bit is take a copy of the repeat slip just as extra cover incase you require anything whilst away

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medication

Yes a good point, also another reason you need to take meds in original containers . They have all the information on them the Cuba doctors will need if you either need new or are taken to hospital.

manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: medication

Thanks so much for all the good advice kerrada